The family of a 29-year old Donegal man who died while clearing trees for the construction of a wind farm has settled various legal actions for a substantial six-figure sum.Mr Justice Garett Simons in the High Court today approved the settlements of the actions including those for nervous shock over the death of the father of two in Donegal four years ago. Jonathan Gormley, a chainsaw operator and the father of two young children, died shortly before Christmas 2015 while clearing trees at the site of Meenadreen Wind Farm in the Barnesmore area.An inquest two years ago into the death of Mr Gormley returned a verdict of death by misadventure.By a Donegal Daily reporter at the High Court in DublinWhen he was found the inquest heard Mr Gormley was crouched down and a pine tree was across his left shoulder.Medical evidence at the inquest said the cause of death was traumatic or mechanical asphyxia secondary to compression of the chest due to a fallen tree.Mr Gormely’s partner, Mairead Coughlin, of Cluain Barron, Ballyshannon, along with Mr Gormley’s parents, Bridie and James Gormley, of Boa Island Road, Belleek, Co. Fermanagh, had sued Viridian Energy Ltd trading as Energia, Viridian Renewables Development Ltd and Windgeneration Ireland Ltd all with offices at Mill House, Ashtowngate, Navan Road, Dublin, which were the owners of the wind farm and Softwood Ireland Ltd of Ballymorris, Portarlington, Co. Laois, over the accident on December 21, 2015.It was claimed there was an alleged failure to have any or any appropriate employee to co-ordinate chainsaw work and to ensure no chainsaw worker was permitted to work alone.It was further claimed Mr Gormley had been allegedly allowed to attempt to clear a stand of trees manually using a chainsaw in circumstances where he allegedly should have been provided with appropriate mechanical plant and equipment.It was further alleged there was an alleged failure to ensure all chainsaw and tree-felling work was stopped where there were gale force gusts of up to 44 knots and Mr Gormley had been allegedly allowed to work on a day which was entirely unsuitable for the type of work involved and in circumstances where it was allegedly dangerous to perform chainsaw work in a stand of allegedly unstable, windblown and haphazard trees.The claims were denied.Michael Cush SC told the High Court the six-figure sum was a “global settlement figure” over the unfortunate death of Mr Gormley. He said there had been protracted mediation talks as a number of actions had to be settled.Approving the settlement, Mr Justice Garett Simons said it was a reasonable one.The inquest into Mr Gormley’s death heard he had not been seen for about two-and-a-half hours by the colleague who found him.Joe Devaney told the inquest that Mr Gormley was a saw man who cut trees ahead of him and he would then clear them with a harvesting machine.On the day of Mr Gormley’s death, Mr Devaney said he last saw him around 11.30am or 12pm on December 21 when they had a chat and a cigarette together and then Mr Gormely went to work on a hill.It was a windy day and he said he rang Mr Gormley’s mobile phone four times between 2.17pm and 2.36pm, but got no answer and got worried.When he went to look for him he found Mr Gormley with his helmet on and on his knees with a tree down on his shoulder.Mr Devaney said he could not find Mr Gormley’s pulse.He said he was unable to lift the tree off him and was later given the go-ahead to cut the tree. Attempts were made to revive Mr Gormley but he was pronounced dead at the scene.Family of Donegal man killed while clearing trees awarded six figure sum was last modified: August 1st, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
STUDENTS AT BISHOP HEELAN HIGH SCHOOL STARTED GETTING ORIENTED IN THEIR NEW CLASSROOM BUILDING THURSDAY.SCHOOL PRINCIPAL CHRIS BORK SAYS THE STUDENTS STARTED GETTING FAMILIAR WITH THE NEW BUILDING TO PREPARE TO EMPTY THEIR LOCKERS IN THE OLD SCHOOL FRIDAY MORNING AND REPORT TO THEIR NEW HOME ROOMS ACROSS THE STREET:Audio Playerhttp://kscj.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/NEW.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.OC….A GREAT START. :10BORK SAYS SCHOOL STAFF HAVE BEEN SETTING UP THE NEW CLASSROOMS AND OFFICES SINCE CHRISTMAS BREAK:Audio Playerhttp://kscj.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/NEW2.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.OC……..READY FOR CLASS. :15 THE MOVE ALSO MEANS THE END OF REGULAR CLASSES IN THE OLD BISHOP HEELAN BUILDING:Audio Playerhttp://kscj.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/NEW3.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.OC………MUCH BETTER SET UP. ;17THE TROPHY CASES HAVE ALSO BEEN MOVED AND REORGANIZED.BORK SAYS FOR THE FIRST TIME ALL OF HEELAN’S STATE CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHIES ARE GROUPED TOGETHER IN ONE DISPLAY.