Cancer Stricken Valerie Harper in Legal Battle with Looped Playwright

first_imgTony nominee and Emmy winner Valerie Harper, who was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer in March 2013, forcing her to withdraw from a national tour of Looped, has filed a lawsuit against its playwright Matthew Lombardo and the production’s producers. The New York Daily News reports that it claims they failed to pay the remainder of her contract. In response, Lombardo and the producers of Looped have filed a suit against Harper and her husband, Tony Cacciotti, for $2 million, saying the two “were both aware” that the actress was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2009, but did not disclose the information until after she signed onto the play. Lombardo said in a statement that “he was given no choice to defend himself as would anyone in his position and to reluctantly reveal what had actually transpired behind the scenes.” Best known for playing Rhoda Morgenstern Gerard on The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Rhoda, Harper appeared on Dancing With the Stars last fall. A Tony nominee for the 2010 Broadway run of Looped, her other Great White Way credits include Take Me Along, Wildcat, Subways Are For Sleeping, Something Different, Paul Sills’ Story Theatre, Ovid’s Metamorphoses and The Tale of the Allergist’s Wife. It was recently reported that she was to guest star in Hallmark’s Signed, Sealed, Delivered.center_img View Commentslast_img read more

Facebook rejects call to share revenue with Australian media

first_imgFacebook on Monday rejected calls from the Australian government and news companies that it share advertising revenue with the media, suggesting it would rather cut news content from its platform.The US tech giant said in a submission to Australia’s competition watchdog that news represents a “very small fraction” of the content in an average user’s news feed.”If there were no news content available on Facebook in Australia, we are confident the impact on Facebook’s community metrics and revenues in Australia would not be significant,” it said in a thinly veiled threat to boycott local news companies. “Given the social value and benefit to news publishers, we would strongly prefer to continue enabling news publishers’ content to be available on our platform,” it said.In an effort being closely watched around the world, Australia is set to unveil plans to force Facebook and Google to share advertising revenue they earn from news featured in their services.The initiative has been strongly pushed by Australia’s two biggest media companies, Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp and Nine Entertainment.They argue that the crisis roiling the news industry worldwide is mainly because of Google, Facebook and other large tech firms capturing the vast majority of online advertising revenues, without fairly compensating media companies for advertisements placed against news content. The loss of advertising dollars that previously flowed to newspapers has forced cutbacks and bankruptcies across the sector, a process exacerbated by the economic downturn caused by the coronavirus pandemic.In Australia, News Corp, Nine and other media have both announced major cuts in editorial staff, with more than 170 newsrooms and newspapers suspended or shuttered in recent years.Australia’s competition regulator, the ACCC, has estimated that Google and Facebook together earn some Aus$6 billion (US$4 billion) a year from advertising in the country.Leading news publishers have demanded the two companies pay at least 10 percent of that money each year to local news organizations.Google last month rejected the demand, saying it made barely Aus$10 million a year from news-linked advertising.The two companies’ positions bode ill for negotiations the ACCC hopes to pursue between the tech firms and Australian media companies over a mandatory “code of conduct” governing issues such as revenue sharing, curbing disinformation, data sharing and protecting user privacy.The ACCC has until the end of July to draw up the final code, which the government has said it will quickly implement.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Balotelli hits back at Chiellini: You didn’t act like a man

first_img Promoted Content12 Marvel Superheroes Before The Fame5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooHow Most Popular Food In The World Came To BeWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Tarantino Wants To End His Career With This Movie?Real Faces Of The Women From World Famous Paintings10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do6 Best Natural History Museums You Won’t Regret VisitingWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?You’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeThe World’s 7 Most Spectacular Railway Stations Chiellini has slammed Balotelli in his new book. “At least I have the honesty and courage to say things to people’s faces,” replied Balotelli in an Instagram Story.Advertisement Brescia striker, Mario Balotelli, has hit back at Juventus captain Giorgio Chiellini. “You had so many opportunities to do that since 2013, to behave like a real man, but you didn’t do it. Who knows what you’ll say one day about your current teammates, you strange captain… read also:Balotelli, Felipe Melo respond to Chiellini’s criticisms “If this means being a champion, then I prefer not to be one. And I never showed a lack of respect towards the Azzurri jersey.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… last_img read more

Persaud intensifies training to defend Guyana Open title

first_imgDEFENDING male champion Avinash Persaud feels that a positive mental approach will be the key to doing well at the Lusignan Golf Club (LGC) premier golf tournament – the Guyana Open, which is billed for November 4-5.The 26-year-old, who enjoys the sport to its fullest, claimed his seventh Guyana Open title last year and intends to reach the same heights again, but acknowledged that the task will not be that easy.“I’m excited. It’s a venue that obviously holds good memories for me – hopefully, I can defend my title with ease,” said the Lusignan resident.In a thriller last year, Persaud finished with a total Gross of 149 and a Net aggregate of 145, but emphasised that this year’s tournament will be very challenging, taking into consideration the number of good players around.Despite the challenges he anticipates, Persaud remains optimistic. He pointed out during the exclusive interview that the venue is his home turf, adding that once he does the basic, and plays within his game limits, success will come his way.Joaan DeoTo this end, he has intensified his training, with the view of reaching peak touch when the two-day event reaches.As usual golfers from Guyana, North America and the Caribbean will compete against one another, in what will be a highly competitive two-day tournament.The LGC is using the tournament to once again aid in the sports tourism drive, as the event will draw a wide cross-section of golfers and supporters from various countries.The LGC is anticipating a large turnout of competitors on the nine-hole course, with heated rivalry in the Championship Flight (0-9 handicap), B Flight (10-18), C Flight (19-28) and Ladies Flight.On the distaff side, Joaan Deo, will be looking to retain the title she won in 2016. Deo defeated Shaunella Webster after recording a total Net 138 and a Gross of 180.Meanwhile, as preparations intensify for the Guyana Open, local golfers will meet again today in the Maersk Sealand golf tournament.Tee-off time is 12:30hrs at the country’s lone golf course at Lusignan, East Coast Demerara.last_img read more