August 13, 2020 /Coronavirus (COVID-19) related news and sports stories, Sports News – Local BYU-Troy to play Sept. 26, announce a two-game football series FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPROVO, Utah (Aug. 13, 2020) — Brigham Young University and Troy University today announced the schools have agreed to a home-and-home football series, with the first game being played on Sept. 26, 2020, in LaVell Edwards Stadium. The second game between the Cougars and the Trojans is scheduled for Sept. 5, 2026, at Veterans Memorial Stadium in Troy, Alabama. The game in Provo will be broadcast on an ESPN network with the kickoff time announced at a later date.“Troy has been one of the top football programs in the Sun Belt Conference for many years,” said BYU Director of Athletics Tom Holmoe. “Despite the uncertainty surrounding the 2020 college football season, we worked out a contract with Troy over the past three weeks and look forward to facing the Trojans.”The two universities have never met before in football. Troy was founded in 1887 and is celebrating its 100th season of collegiate football. The Trojans have won 21 conference championships, including six Sun Belt Conference titles in the past 14 years (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2017). Troy has also won its last four bowl games, including a 42-32 victory over Buffalo in the 2018 Dollar General Bowl. Before becoming a DI FBS program in 2001, the Trojans won three national football titles in 1968 (NAIA) and 1984 and 1987 (DII). Former BYU offensive line coach Ryan Pugh is currently the offensive coordinator at Troy. Tags: BYU Cougars Football/Troy Trojans Written by Robert Lovell
Back to overview,Home naval-today Five UK Submarine Dismantling Sites Taken into Consideration View post tag: Dismantling Sites View post tag: five View post tag: News by topic October 16, 2014 View post tag: europe Authorities Five UK Submarine Dismantling Sites Taken into Consideration Five UK nuclear facilities have been confirmed as potential sites to store waste from decommissioned nuclear-powered submarines.A public consultation process will run from 14 November 2014 until 20 February 2015 to help determine which site is selected.The sites, which already hold radioactive materials, are either owned by MOD, the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) or industry. They are:– the Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE) sites at Aldermaston and Burghfield in Berkshire which are owned by MOD and run by AWE plc;– Sellafield in west Cumbria, owned by the NDA;– Chapelcross in Dumfriesshire, owned by the NDA;– Capenhurst in Cheshire, which is run by Capenhurst Nuclear Service.Minister for Defence Equipment, Support and Technology, Philip Dunne, said:“When the submarines in the Royal Navy fleet reach the end of their lives we need to dispose of them in a way that is safe, secure and environmentally sound.“This open and transparent public consultation process provides the opportunity to work closely with local communities near to potential sites to listen carefully to their views with the aim of delivering a solution that achieves these objectives.“We value the views of those who have something to say about the submarine dismantling project. All of them will be considered properly as part of our decision-making process.“After consultation we will publish a report on our findings and after we have selected a site, we will explain why we reached that decision.”The submarine dismantling project will oversee the disposal of 27 Royal Navy nuclear submarines that are due to have left Naval service by the mid 2030’s and be defuelled, including 19 submarines that have already left service and are stored afloat at Rosyth and Devonport.The submarines can only be completely dismantled once reactor components, which are categorised as radioactive waste, have been removed. The initial dismantling process will support up to 60 skilled jobs.There will be a series of exhibitions and workshops close to all 5 sites – which were previously announced on a provisional shortlist on 13 February 2014, plus 2 national workshops.The site chosen will be used for interim storage of reactor components until after 2040, when the UK Geological Disposal Facility is planned to come into operation. Share this article View post tag: UK View post tag: Navy View post tag: Taken View post tag: submarine Image: Darren MacDonald, Crown copyright View post tag: Naval View post tag: Consideration
Tags: cinderella, into the woods, little red riding hood, pasquerilla east music company, PEMCo, Washington Hall Pasquerilla East Music Company’s (PEMCo) production of “Into the Woods” will begin performances Thursday night on Washington Hall’s main stage.Actor Chris Siemann said the musical’s plot is a “mash-up” of fairy tales.“It’s Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood and Rapunzel all thrown into the same story,” Siemann said.Auditions for the cast were held at the beginning of the semester and rehearsals began in September, for several nights a week, Siemann said.“On average, for each of us, it was maybe one to three hours a night,” he said. “Some nights I wasn’t even called, but other nights I was there for four hours.”Siemann said he plays the role of the wolf from Little Red Riding Hood, as well as Cinderella’s prince.“The parts were meant to be double cast, for symbolic reasons,” he said. “The wolf interacts with Little Red Riding Hood, and that story plays out the way you think it would. Then I have to kind of quick change into the Cinderella’s Prince — without spoiling too much, he’s exactly who you think he’s going to be. The characters are similar; they have a very similar mindset of instinct, and getting what [they] want.”“Into the Woods” is a unique show because it has a large cast but no chorus, Siemann said.“There are seventeen people and they’re all unique characters, and we all have our own moment, so to speak, on the stage,” Siemann said. “It’s really cool that we get to develop these characters. When you’re in a chorus, you can still develop your character, but you don’t have as much to work with. So it’s really cool that we’re all on even playing ground.”The production is entirely student-run, which creates a unique experience for all the members of PEMCo, he said.“Everyone understands everyone else’s commitments, we’re all doing school, we all have other things that we’re involved in,” he said. “It makes you feel really proud of something, that we’re working as one unit.”Producer and senior Emma Kusters said she began preparations for the production last semester, along with fellow producer and senior Shannon Kirk.“We started last spring, when we reviewed director applications and selected a director for the show, and we picked what show we were going to do,” Kusters said. “Over the summer we were e-mailing, designing set and costumes, and then we had auditions the second week of school.“A large part of my time this summer was revamping the PEMCo website,” Kusters said. “I’ve really been trying to make the information about PEMCo more accessible, so that we can reach students who aren’t already in the PEMCo fold, so we can be pulling in new talent, so that everyone feels welcome to participate and audition in whatever capacity they can.”Kusters said the producers considered several factors in choosing PEMCo’s fall show.“Part of the consideration is always budget,” Kusters said. “We took a pretty big risk this year because usually our fall show is a smaller-scale show. Last year there were only four actors in the show, and the year before that there were seven.“This year we have a seventeen-person cast, and we actually ended up spending even more money on this show than we did on ‘Legally Blonde’ last year, which was our big show last year,” she said.The producers also looked for a show that would appeal to the student body, Kusters said.“Into the Woods’ is all these fairy tales coming together in a sort of fantastical way, in a way that’s also very relevant to the human experience and everyone here,” she said.Kusters said the show has a variety of stunts and visual effects, as well as an elaborate set.“Everyone in the cast has to pitch in to make the set; it was a really a group effort,” she said. “I think this is the best set PEMCo has had in a while.”“Into the Woods” premieres Thursday, November 6th at 7:30 p.m., in Washington Hall. Performances also running November 7th at 7:30 p.m., and November 8th at 4:00 p.m. Tickets are $7 for students and $10 for non-students.
The University of Wisconsin men’s hockey team played in front of their home crowd for the first time Saturday, beating the Victoria Vikes 10-1 in an exhibition game.First-year head coach Tony Granato reflected on his team’s performance and touched on some of the takeaway’s heading into Friday’s first regular season matchup in Green Bay against Northern Michigan.Men’s hockey: Badgers cruise past Vikes in first exhibition gameThe University of Wisconsin got off to a blazing hot start Saturday night in the Kohl center and never looked Read…“It was a positive start from a system side of things,” Granato said. “We didn’t implement a ton where they had to think out there. We wanted them to play.”Sophomores Luke Kunin and Seamus Malone led the way in scoring. Kunin followed up a dominant freshman season with a hat trick while Seamus finished with two.Granato alluded to the relative lack of action that his team’s goalies saw in their rout of the Vikes. Rumors before the game hinted that sophomore standout goalie Matt Jurusik might not start the whole season, and the slow action provided little to no answer to that question.“It would have been nice if they would have gotten a little more pressure on them, but I think they gained confidence as well, so it was good to get both those young guys in the game,” Granato said.Men’s hockey: Granato doesn’t want Wisconsin to be players’ final stopThere’s an intrinsic competitiveness in hockey players which drives them to the extremes. It’s shown in years of 6 a.m. Read…Despite the fact that Wisconsin had no trouble from an offensive standpoint, they tallied seven penalties exceeding Victoria’s six. Penalties were an extensive problem for the Badgers a season ago and were a main concern going into the offseason.“The good thing is it’s going to be hard decisions on who plays,” Granato said. “We go from 25 guys down to 20, so there’s five guys who won’t be able to play Friday night when we drop the puck. I think the positive thing for us as coaches is we know we have depth.”Wisconsin finished last season with an overall record of 8-19-8 and will certainly look to take the first step in improving upon that mark in Friday’s season opener. If Saturday’s blowout was any indication, it seems they are already making strides in the right direction.“There are certain things we’ve obviously worked on in the first few weeks that they’ve adapted to very well, and I think it carried over into the game,” Granato said.