Dario Fo(Photo: Gabriel Bouys/AFT/Getty Images) View Comments Dario Fo, the Nobel Prize-winning Italian playwright whose frequent collaborations with his wife Franca Rame drew universal dissension, died on October 13. His death, which followed two weeks of hospitalization in Milan for back pain, was confirmed to the New York Times by his Italian publisher, Chiarelettere. He was 90 years old.In 1984, Fo’s play Accidental Death of an Anarchist played Broadway’s Belasco Theatre. At the time, he and Rame needed to receive a waiver from the State Department in order to attend the opening in New York, due to their ties to the Italian Communist Party.Fo was born on March 24, 1926 in the Italian town on Sangiano to railway stationmaster Felice and Pina Rota, who later wrote the acclaimed autobiography Il Paese delle Rane. He attended the Brera Fine Arts Academy in the early 1940s before going into hiding to avoid serving during World War II. His parents were both active members of the resistance and assisted in the escape of Italian Jews and British prisoners of war.In 1951, Fo met Rame while acting in a theater company in Milan. They married in 1954. Over the years, they created myriad shows inspired by the Italian tradition of commedia dell’arte that played to both customary theaters and protests. Rame died in 2013. His additional works include Fedayin and We Won’t Pay! We Won’t Pay!, which explored the Palestinian-Israeli conflict and protesting inflation. For each of these, Fo encouraged artists worldwide to relate their productions to issues and experiences that affect their respective local community.Similarly, Fo’s one-man show Mistero Buffo, which comically highlighted politics and religion, experienced countless incarnations and revisions from 1969 through the ‘90s. When he received the 1997 Nobel Prize in Literature, he received extreme amounts of criticism from the police and the Vatican. “Yours is an act of courage that border on provocation,” he told the Swedish Academy at theh time.Fo is survived by his son, Jacopo. A commemorative service will be held at the Piccolo Teatro Strehler, where he staged productions (which were routinely shut down by authorities) in the 1950s.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York [View the story “Pittsburgh Area School Stabbing Injures Multiple Students” on Storify]
Apr 28, 2009 (CIDRAP News) – As the official count of US swine influenza cases rose to 64 today, top federal health officials said it’s becoming increasingly clear that the virus is spreading beyond people who recently traveled to Mexico, the epicenter of the outbreak.”The information we’re seeing from states and locals . . . is that this appears to be acting like a normal flu virus, which has a fairly high rate of transmission in families,” Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), said at a news briefing this afternoon. He said investigators are finding respiratory and flu-like illnesses in family members of case-patients.Besser said the only confirmed case of person-to-person transmission in the United States so far is in the two Kansas cases, which officials have said involved a husband and wife. But he said that probably only reflects the limited extent of testing, adding, “I expect we are seeing transmission within families.”Later he commented that while travel history is an important diagnostic clue in people who have a flu-like illness, “I wouldn’t limit it to that, because it’s really [in] a minority of cases to date that we’ve identified that travel history.”The signs of ongoing transmission seem to fit with the World Health Organization’s (WHO’s) move yesterday to raise the pandemic alert level to phase 4, which means a new flu virus can spread efficiently enough to cause sustained community outbreaks.This morning the CDC raised its case count to 64, from 40 as of yesterday, including 45 cases in New York, 10 in California, 6 in Texas, 2 in Kansas, and 1 in Ohio. Besser said five patients have been hospitalized—three in California and two in New York—but provided no details on their illnesses.The Associated Press reported this afternoon that “several hundred” students who attend a New York City Catholic school that has been hit by swine flu are sick.Besser reported that the latest illness onset date in a confirmed swine flu case is Apr 24, but that doesn’t mean there has been no transmission since then.”We’re asking that if you are a confirmed case not only that you stay home, but that the rest of your family stay home as well,” to limit the virus’s spread, he said.States all want suppliesIn other comments, Besser reported that all states have now requested their shares of antiviral drugs and personal protective equipment from the Strategic National Stockpile, and the CDC is working to fulfill the requests. He called the requests “a forward-leaning step,” since most states don’t have any cases yet.In response to a question, he said the CDC has not yet identified anything that distinguishes swine flu from seasonal flu, aside from the possible clue of a travel history. He said it was an advantage that the new virus did not emerge in the middle of the regular flu season.”If this outbreak had occurred in January or February it would’ve been very difficult to detect because of all the flu activity going on,” he said.On vaccine issues, Besser called the possibility of adding a swine flu antigen to the seasonal flu vaccine “an attractive approach” in that one vaccine could protect against seasonal and swine flu infections. “We do know that seasonal flu vaccine production is moving forward, and we don’t want to delay that, but that is under consideration,” he added.The other possibility is to make a monovalent vaccine, containing just the swine flu strain, he noted.The CDC previously said it was developing a seed strain of swine flu virus for companies to use in making a vaccine. Besser said the seed strain has not yet been sent to the manufacturers.He also reported that the incubation period in US swine flu cases appears to range from 2 to 7 days, which he termed typical for flu.Earlier in the day, Dr. Keiji Fukuda of the WHO emphasized—as he did yesterday—that the swine flu represents “a serious situation” but that a pandemic is not yet inevitable. “We really are in a period in which countries should take this opportunity to really prepare themselves for the possibility of a pandemic,” especially countries not yet dealing with cases, he said.He said that as of today the WHO officially counted 79 cases, including 40 in the United States (the number reported yesterday), 26 in Mexico, 6 in Canada, 3 in New Zealand, 2 in Spain, and 2 in the United Kingdom.Later today, the WHO in an online statement reported that Israel has confirmed 2 cases. The numbers are confirmed cases reported by governments.Fukuda, the WHO’s assistant director-general for health security and the environment, stressed how much remains unknown about the new virus, including where it originated and why severe cases seem to be confined to Mexico.”We still do not have a good explanation for why the pattern of cases in other countries appears relatively mild while the pattern in Mexico appears to be much more severe,” he said. Besser said much the same in the CDC briefing.When asked about reports that the virus might have originated in Mexico’s Vera Cruz state, Fukuda said, “I think right now it’s not possible to really know where this virus originated.” He added that the swine flu isolates that have been analyzed have been very similar, suggesting that the virus emerged recently and has not been around long enough to branch into many variants.Fukuda cautioned that even if swine flu activity subsides sometime soon, it will be at least several months before experts can conclude that a pandemic won’t happen. “It’s very hard to know when something like this disappears. I don’t think we’ll be able to conclude that in the next few weeks.”He also warned not to forget how the great pandemic of 1918-19 unfolded. “It also started out as a relatively mild spread of illness that really wasn’t much noted in most places, but then it became a very severe pandemic in the fall,” he said.See also: CDC swine flu pagehttp://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/Apr 28 WHO updatehttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_28/en/index.htmlWHO swine flu pagehttp://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/en/index.html
Press Association Northern Ireland will wait for word from Southampton regarding the fitness of captain Steven Davis. The midfielder was withdrawn from his side’s win over Leicester on Saturday with a hamstring injury. The Irish have an appointment with Romania on Friday and issued a short statement on Sunday to update Davis’ position.
ST JOHN’S, Antigua, (CMC) – Cricket West Indies(CWI have appointed Englishman Dominic Warne as director of Commercial, Marketing and Communications.The appointment, which took effect October 1, will see the executive taking responsibility for CWI’s commercial operations and revenue generation, along with marketing and communications initiatives.“I’m really excited to join CWI’s new leadership team and strengthen the iconic Windies brand,” Warne said.“The flamboyant cricket, colour and atmosphere that so defines Caribbean cricket is unique. We have a great opportunity to connect with fans and excite commercial sponsors, so I’m looking forward to growing partnerships with the territorial boards and sponsors to make the cricketing heartbeat of the region beat stronger.”According to CWI, Warne brings over two decades of marketing and sponsorship strategy to the new post.Warne, who will be based at the CWI headquarters here, joins another Englishman Johnny Grave, who was appointed CEO last February.