Donegal protesters were among up to 500 activists from all over the country who attended a strategy meeting of the Campaign Against the Household and Water Tax in Dublin today.The meeting was convened to debate the campaign’s reaction to the property tax legislation.Among those at the meeting was Donegal Deputy Thomas Pringle. He said the mood of the meeting was very strongly in favour of maintaining the boycott of the tax.The meeting heard that there are still some legal issues to be clarified about a boycott but the meeting was strongly in favour of the boycott continuing.A call was made for everyone one to support the day of protest on February 9th in Dublin to send a very clear message to the government of opposition to the tax.Speaking after the meeting Thomas Pringle TD said the group will stand firm. “It was good to see the resolve of activists all over the country including Donegal restating their commitment to opposing the tax and showing this government that we will not endorse their programme of austerity.”DONEGAL PROTESTERS VOW TO STAND STRONG AGAINST HOUSEHOLD AND WATER CHARGES was last modified: January 12th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:HOUSEHOLD CHARGEprotestersThomas Pringle TDwater charge
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! LONDON (AP) – A series of explosions at an oil depot shook an area north of London early Sunday, shattering windows of nearby houses and sending a billowing cloud of smoke and flames high into the sky. Police said the blasts appeared to be an accident. The explosions were located at Buncefield Oil Terminal, near the town of Hemel Hempstead in the country of Hertfordshire. Some local residents had reported hearing an aircraft flying low overhead shortly before the first explosion at around 6 a.m. (1 a.m. EDT). But Hertfordshire police said there was “nothing to suggest a plane was involved.” Nearby Luton Airport, about 30 miles north of central London, remained open and flights were operating normally. Hertfordshire Fire Brigade said it had scrambled at least 12 crews to the depot and called the explosions a major incident. The British Broadcasting Corp. reported an unconfirmed number of casualties. Residents of Hemel Hempstead reported a loud boom that shook their houses. The blast was so large it was felt throughout a large part of London and the surrounding area. “There was a loud boom and the house shook violently,” said Duncan Milligan, of Hemel Hempstead, who said the blast woke him up. “I am about three miles from where the explosion took place but I can see flames high in the sky and smoke billowing everywhere. There is clearly a building on fire near the motorway and police and emergency services are everywhere.” Local resident Richard Ayers said a massive column of smoke rose some three miles into the air and the force of explosions had blown the roofs off houses near the oil depot. “It is like it is doomsday,” he told the BBC.
zoom A 39-year-old Croatian crewman has been evacuated from the crude oil tanker MV Almi Navigator off Port Elizabeth, South Africa.The ship reported the patient to Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) and after a Government Health EMS duty doctor evaluated the patient in communications with the ship, the ship was diverted to Port Elizabeth for a patient evacuation.“An injury to the crewman’s leg sustained onboard earlier in the month had progressively worsened and after evaluation by the EMS duty doctor an evacuation to hospital was ordered for as soon as possible,” Ian Gray, NSRI Port Elizabeth station commander, said.The sea rescue craft Spirit of Toft was launched accompanied by EC Government Health EMS rescue paramedics.It rendezvoused with the ship off the shore of Port Elizabeth in the early evening hours the same day and the patient, walking wounded, was transferred onto the sea rescue craft. He was brought to shore and transported to hospital in a stable condition for further medical treatment, NSRI informed.