Low gas prices, warm weather pushing coal out of European generation market

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Bloomberg:Cheaper natural gas prices this year are likely to cement Europe’s shift away from coal as a fuel for producing power.Abnormally mild winter weather has cut demand for the fuel as a flood of new supplies entered the world’s biggest gas market. That along with higher costs for carbon-emissions allowances has tilted the economics of generating electricity away from coal and toward using more gas.“Policy makers in Europe are now happy with such low natural gas prices,” said Ewout Eijkelenboom, senior consultant at the Netherlands-based industry adviser Kyos Energy Consulting. “It makes the coal phase-out easier than expected — it is almost a natural way of exiting coal.”Falling gas prices are a global phenomenon. Liquefied natural gas projects are pumping out record numbers of cargoes, cutting wholesale gas costs from the U.S. to Asia. That in turn has helped push down the cost of electricity across Europe, taking some of the heat out of the political debate about energy.Benchmark gas in Amsterdam plunged to a five-month low last week because of the global glut. Market rates for the coming summer are at the lowest since at least 2007. It’s especially notable that the weakness has arrived during the winter, which is peak-demand season.“We’ll need to do something with all that surplus gas,” said Elchin Mammadov, a European utilities analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence. “I’m expecting a further drop in prices and more coal-to-gas switching.”[Vanessa Dezem and Mathew Carr]More: Cheap natural gas is about to kick more coal out of Europe Low gas prices, warm weather pushing coal out of European generation marketlast_img read more

Jim Riggleman

first_imgShould the Reds hire Jim Riggleman as their permanent manager?  I would say “yes”.  I like his traditional way of managing.  I am sure he has all of those statistics that are now available to all baseball teams, but his on-field moves go back to the way baseball used to be played.  He tries to bunt, although none of his players seem to know how to do it.What Riggleman needs in order to succeed is better talent.  Unfortunately, the Reds budget is tied up with Homer Bailey and Joey Votto.  Votto is still earning his keep, but Bailey is not.  If they want to keep Gennett, it will take more money as well.  He certainly deserves it.  What they desperately need are starting pitchers.  Of all the prospects they traded for or those developed in their system, only Castillo is doing a major league job.I would bet that Riggleman will be let go because it is easier and cheaper to replace him then to find the good players they need.  Riggleman is not making a lot of money which might work in his favor.  We will see.last_img read more

Cricket News Archer gets England cap as rain washes out first day of second Ashes Test

first_img For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. In 17 of the last 19 Ashes campaigns, the team that has led 1-0 has won the series. The exceptions were in 1997 when Australia lost at Edgbaston, but won the six-match series 3-2 and 2005 when England lost at Lord’s but won the five-Test series 2-1.World Cup-winner Archer is set to play after James Anderson, England’s all-time leading wicket-taker, was ruled out with a calf injury that meant he bowled just four overs at Edgbaston. Neither England nor Australia have yet named their teams. They are not required to do so until the toss takes place. London: Jofra Archer received his England Test cap but was still to make his debut as rain saw the first day of Wednesday’s second Ashes match against Australia abandoned without a ball bowled at a soaking wet Lord’s. Chris Jordan, a Sussex team-mate, presented Archer with the cap in England’s pre-match huddle ahead of a revised toss at 3:00pm local time (1400 GMT) — only for further rain to delay the start once again.With rain still lashing an increasingly gloomy ‘home of cricket’, umpires Aleem Dar and Chris Gaffaney finally abandoned play for the day after tea at 4:19 pm local time. When the match should have been getting underway at 11:00 am (1000 GMT), the square and pitch remained fully covered. Further rain then meant hopes of any play before lunch soon disappeared as well.Now officials will hope the weather relents sufficiently for the match to begin at the scheduled 1000 GMT start of Thursday’s second day. Ashes-holders Australia lead the five-match series 1-0 after their 251-run win in the first Test at Edgbaston last week. It is 18 years since Australia last won an Ashes series in England.last_img read more

Sun Devils scorch Trojans, 38-34

first_imgASU quarterback Mike Bercovici has 510 yards and 5 touchdowns at the Coliseum and unranked ASU shocks No. 16 USC as time expires, 38-34. Photos by Joseph Chen.last_img

Rose Hall sugar workers intensify protest against closure

first_imgWorkers attached to the Rose Hall Sugar Factory in East Canje, Berbice have intensified their protest action against the impending closure of the estate.On Thursday, factory and field workers, accompanied by their family members and bolstered by sections of the business community and taxi drivers, marched from the Rose Hall factory to the entrance of East Canje — a distance of four miles — to signal their frustration at the APNU/AFC Coalition Administration’s decision, as announced on Monday by Agriculture Minister Noel Holder, to close the sugar estate by year end.Rose Hall sugar workers on Thursday intensified their protest action against the impending closure of the estateFollowing an earlier announcement made by President David Granger that Rose Hall is one of the estates tabled to be closed, workers had staged several small demonstrations in hope of getting the attention of the Agriculture Ministry before its subject minister presented the promised ‘white paper’ in the National Assembly last Monday.The realisation of what is likely to happen as a result of Government’s controversial decision has hit home, and the workers have expectedly reacted.In a release, the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU) referred to the protesters as being large in number.“The workers are justifiably concerned over their future, which appears bleak if the Government pursues closure as it says. Regular employment is hard to come by, and closure of the estate will aggravate this problem in the area. It is such concerns that are prompting workers to come together and unitedly call on the APNU/AFC Government to ensure that Rose Hall Estate remains operable”, a release from GAWU has said.The release said Government closed Wales Estate last year, leaving many of that estate’s 1,700 workers now jobless and despairing. At the end of this year, Rose Hall and Enmore/LBI Estates are to be closed, as disclosed in Government’s ‘white paper’ on sugar, presented to the National Assembly on May 8.“The Berbice protestors were in an angry mood as they visualise hardships that await them, and the real prospects of destitution of them and their families that are expectedly in store if the Estate is allowed to go to the gallows at the end of this year,” GAWU has said.“The unconscionable anti-working class action by the Government, which failed to conduct a study of the consequences of its rash and haphazard decision, will impact seriously the victims – workers, pensioners, housewives, children, vendors and others”, the GAWU statement continued.“The Rose Hall workers recognise the need and importance to continue their united struggle, which they hope to sustain with greater solidarity in their courageous efforts to defend their jobs, their rights, their families, and ensure a secure and dignified future”, the GAWU statement concludes.GAWU official Seepaul Narine, who was a part of Thursday’s protest, said the workers are now upset following Monday’s announcement. He said they are convinced that what is happening is the perpetuation of a wrong decision.“So this morning you have more than one thousand workers who have come out to register their protest against the administration. We are asking the Government and GuySuCo to review this decision, because it is a decision that will hurt everyone who is employed and also those who are not employed with GuySuCo, because the Rose Hall Estate is the source of sustenance for many villages around,” he explained.He said the employees will be directly affected and the spin-off effect will affect businesses and the community as a whole. “There is no study as to what the workers will do when the estate is closed. We need them to go back to the drawing board,” he posited.Narine said the protest will continue, and is likely to intensify.Meanwhile, Region Six Chairman David Armogan explained that the decision will not only affect those at GuySuCo, but everyone in Region Six.He said the workers are being fooled by Government into thinking that alternative employment will be provided. “They are telling the people that alternative employment will be provided at Albion and Blairmont; but if you are reducing the cultivation to just about 2000 acres from what it is presently at 9000, you are knocking out about 7000 acres. So what will happen to those workers who were involved in the cultivation of the other 7000 acres?” he asked.Armogan said it is time Government comes straight in informing the sugar workers about the future, and there also is need for consultation, since it is obvious that there is no plan on the way forward if the estate does close. (Andrew Carmichael)last_img read more