NewsNew investment as Shannon profits take offBy Bernie English – April 16, 2015 977 Advertisement WhatsApp Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook TAGSBunrattyFree ZoneNeil PakeyShannon aiportShannon Heritage Limerick Charity getting sweet treats from Shannon Heritage Previous articleOpinion – Us versus them, againNext articleDigital jobs on the way for Limerick Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Shannon Group chief executive Neil Pakeyby Bernie English [email protected] at Shannon airport have taken off again, with the returns for last year showing a rise in profits for the airport as well as its subsidiary property and tourism firms.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up And Shannon Group chief executive Neil Pakey is predicting even more growth in passenger numbers in the coming year, although the increase will be in single figures as opposed to last years 17 per cent increase.In 2014, the airport saw 1.639 million passengers through its doors, largely boosted by the new routes launched in the Ryanair comeback.“Overall, we are going to be looking at growth this year. It is not going to be the same level as last year and it is going to be single-digit growth,” said Mr Pakey.And after delivering the good news about the profits increase, the chief executive said the board was planning an investment programme for the airport where some of the facilities and product are “getting old and tired”. Mr Pakey said the investment would extend to the property portfolio which covers the Shannon Free Zone and Shannon Heritage whose visitor attractions include King John’s Castle and the Bunratty folk park and castle.He confirmed that some of the buildings in the property portfolio need a severe investment injection as the necessary finance had been lacking in recent years.“It is self-evident that some of the buildings are in a state of dilapidation and we want to rectify that”.He also confirmed that a firm of consultants have now finished a review of the Shannon Heritage tourism product. Twitter Email Shannon Group statement on the Aer Lingus decision to close its Shannon Airport base King John’s Castle Limerick reopens with new medieval themed outdoor games Linkedin Shannon Group seeking funding for Bunratty Castle & Folk Park and King John’s Castle €2.6 million approved for Shannon Heritage Shannon Group announces two new appointments to its Executive Management Team
Kenneth T. Young Professor of Sino-Vietnamese History Hue-Tam Ho Tai tells the story of Vietnam’s first female political prisoner, Bao Luong, who, in 1927, joined Ho Chi Minh’s Revolutionary Youth League and fought both for national independence and for women’s equality.
In modifying an anti-terrorist law inherited from Augusto Pinochet and applied to Mapuches who were on a hunger strike, Chilean President Sebastián Piñera did what “we never managed to get from the center-left in twenty years,” Marco Enríquez Ominami affirmed in Paris on 10 November. “For twenty years, it was the center-left that applied this anti-terrorist law. In twenty years, we never managed to get a center-left president” to cease applying it, the Chilean congressional deputy maintained in a talk hosted by the Maison d’Amerique Latine in Paris. Enríquez Ominami affirmed that since he became a deputy in 2006, he had been calling on successive Concertación administrations not to apply this law, “but they told me that the only one who could do that was the president.” “And it was Piñera, after twenty years of the center-left, who announced the modification of the anti-terrorist law that was applied to the Mapuches,” on a hunger strike for almost three months, the thirty-six-year-old leader emphasized. The anti-terrorist law inherited from the dictatorship tripled the penalties imposed by ordinary legislation. Thirty-four Mapuches, most of them imprisoned on charges of burning farms in the context of their claim to their ancestral lands, carried out a hunger strike of almost three months seeking that this law, which put them at risk of sentences of up to one hundred years, not be applied to them. Piñera, who became president in March 2010, succeeding the Socialist Michele Bachelet, promoted the modification of the law, which was approved by the Chilean Congress on 30 September. “The resolution of the Mapuche issue was one of the things that Piñera did well, above all coming from where he does, from a reactionary right wing,” Marco Enríquez Ominami affirmed. The son of Miguel Enríquez, a prominent member of the Revolutionary Left Movement (MIR) assassinated by Pinochet’s dictatorship (1973-90), and raised in exile in France, Marco Enríquez Ominami abandoned Chile’s Socialist Party months before the 2009 presidential elections, in which he ran as an independent leftist candidate and obtained 20% of the votes. By Dialogo November 12, 2010
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
He also did not say what the penalty would be for those who fail to observe the measure.According to deputy health minister Iraj Harirchi, services would not be provided to those without masks in areas such as government organizations and shopping malls.But implementing the measure may be difficult, as according to Tehran’s mayor, many do not wear masks in places like the capital’s public transport network, where it is already mandatory.”Fifty percent of metro passengers wear masks… and even fewer in buses,” Mayor Pirouz Hanachi was quoted as saying by the semi-official ISNA news agency.”We can’t forcefully confront people without masks,” he added. President Hassan Rouhani said Iran would have to live with the virus for the “long haul”, as he announced the latest measures to combat it.Mask-wearing would be “obligatory in covered spaces where there are gatherings”, he said during a televised meeting of the country’s anti-virus taskforce.According to him, the measure would come into force as of next week, continue until July 22 and would be extended if necessary.Rouhani said the health ministry had devised “a clear list” of the types of spaces and gatherings deemed high-risk, but he did not elaborate. ‘Red’ countiesIran reported its first COVID-19 cases on February 19 and it has since struggled to contain the outbreak.The health ministry on Sunday announced 144 virus deaths in the past 24 hours, its highest for a single day since April 5, raising the total to 10,508.Spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari also raised total confirmed infections to 222,669, with 2,489 new cases during the same period.Official figures have shown an upward trajectory in new confirmed cases since early May, when Iran hit a near two-month low in daily recorded infections.”Considering the rising numbers, I plead with you to definitely use masks outside and in covered places,” Lari said.Iran closed schools, cancelled public events and banned movement between its 31 provinces in March, but the government progressively lifted restrictions from April to try to reopen its sanctions-hit economy.The economy is starting to suffer under the pressures of the health crisis.The country’s currency, the rial, has hit new lows against the US dollar in recent days, mostly over border closures and a halt in non-oil exports, according to analysts.The increasing virus caseload has seen some previously unscathed provinces classified as “red” — the highest level on Iran’s color-coded risk scale — with authorities allowing them to reimpose restrictive measures if required.According to Rouhani, the measure would also be extended to provinces with “red” counties.”Any county that is red, its provincial (virus) committee can propose reimposing limitations for a week”, which could be extended if needed, he said.The government launched an “#I wear a mask” campaign on Saturday and pleaded with Iranians to observe guidelines aimed at curbing infections.One Iranian is infected with COVID-19 every 33 seconds and one dies from the disease every 13 minutes, Harirchi said on Saturday.Zanjan county in northwestern Iran has already reimposed restrictive measures for two weeks, its governor said in a televised interview.It followed a “certain indifference from Zanjan residents and as the number of our [virus] deaths picked up again in recent weeks,” said Alireza Asgari.The limitations include closing wedding halls and a ban on funeral events held at mosques, as they can lead to large gatherings, he added. Iran said Sunday it will make mask-wearing mandatory in certain areas and has allowed virus-hit provinces to reimpose restrictions, as novel coronavirus deaths mounted in the Middle East’s worst-hit country.The new steps were announced as Iran counted 144 new fatalities from the COVID-19 disease, its highest death toll for a single day in almost three months.The Islamic republic has refrained from enforcing full lockdowns to stop the pandemic’s spread, and the use of masks and protective equipment has been optional in most areas. Topics :
The Batesville Boys Soccer teams battled The Indy Roncalli Rebels.The Rebels Varsity won 3-1 and The IR JV 1-0.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coaches Chris Fox and Josh Meyer.