Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Austin Haist/U.S. Navy via Getty ImagesBY: LUIS MARTINEZ AND MATT SEYLER, ABC NEWS(WASHINGTON) — The U.S. Navy has announced that it plans to scrap the USS Bonhomme Richard and not repair the amphibious assault ship ravaged by a major fire in San Diego in July.The damage to the ship from the days-long fire, that at times reached 1,000 degrees, was too much to repair for a ship that had already been in service for almost a quarter of a century, according to the Navy.“After thorough consideration, the secretary of the Navy and the chief of naval operations have decided to decommission the Bonhomme Richard due to the extensive damage sustained during that July fire,” Rear Adm. Eric H. Ver Hage, commander of the Navy Regional Maintenance Center, told reporters on an audio-only news conference Monday.Ver Hage said the Navy had explored three possibilities that included scrapping the ship, repairing it or re-configuring it into a hospital ship or tender.In the end, those costs appeared to be just as expensive — and would take as long — as a future purchase of a new modern amphibious assault ship.Scrapping the ship will cost $30 million over a nine- to 12-month timeline instead of a possible $2.5 billion renovation cost that could take as long as five to seven years.Replacing the amphibious assault ship with a new America-class ship capable of launching F-35 Joint Strike Fighters would cost $4.1 billion and take five to six years.The decommissioning process has already begun, with parts that can be used on other Navy ships being salvaged. The ship’s crew will be assigned to other positions within the Navy.The Bonhomme Richard was pierside in San Diego undergoing renovations on July 12 when a fire in a storage area above where Marine Corps vehicles are usually stored on the large amphibious assault ship.The fire quickly spread through the ship’s main hangar and consumed large areas of the ship’s interior. On the flight deck, one of the ship’s two masts collapsed from the intensity of the flames.The blaze raged for days before firefighters were finally able to extinguish the flames later in the week. Significant metal areas of the ship’s interior were melted.Since the fire, the Navy conducted engineering reviews to determine whether it made sense to go through a costly renovation of the ship that was commissioned in 1998.In late August, defense officials confirmed to ABC News that they were investigating the possibility of arson and questioning a Navy sailor. On Monday, officials declined to comment on their ongoing investigation.In late July, the Navy’s top admiral questioned whether it made sense to repair the ship after having seen firsthand all of the damage.“I am 100% confident that our defense industry can put this ship back to sea,” said Adm. Mike Gilday, the chief of naval operations. “But, having said that, the question is: Should we make that investment in a 22-year-old ship? And I’m not going to make any predictions until we take a look at all the facts and we follow the facts and we can make reasonable recommendations up the chain of command on the future steps, any repair efforts, future repair efforts of Bonhomme Richard.”Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP): The racing world wondered if there was a worthy successor to last year’s Triple Crown champion American Pharoah. Enter Nyquist. The bay colt who lacks any distinctive markings won the Kentucky Derby by 11/4 lengths yesterday improving to 8-0 in his career as the fourth consecutive favourite to win the race. Ridden by Mario Gutierrez, Nyquist ran 2000 metres in 2:01.31. The three-year-old colt became the eighth unbeaten winner in the race’s 142-year history, and the first since Big Brown in 2008. He the 2-1 favourite in the full field of 20 horses. “We got a beautiful trip from the start to the end,” Gutierrez said. Nyquist delivered a second Derby win for Gutierrez, trainer Doug O’Neill and owner J. Paul Reddam. The southern California-based team was behind 2012 Derby and Preakness winner I’ll Have Another. “This is such a special horse,” O’Neill said. “You can see it in his eye on a daily basis and he’s such a professional.” The bay colt is from the first crop of sire Uncle Mo, who never got the chance to run in the Derby after being the early favourite for the 2011 race. He was scratched the day before with a stomach illness.
READ: New dads Jio Jalalon, Paul Lee draw inspiration from first-borns Sarah Geronimo’s ‘Tala’ enters Billboard’s world digital song sales chart Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. After a series of semifinals exits, Magnolia Hotshots got their breakthrough in the PBA Governors’ Cup and returned to the top of the PBA food chain for the first time since winning the Grand Slam in 2014.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsJio Jalalon raises his daughter Jiana Skyla in celebration after winning the PBA Govenors’ Cup title. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netImport Romeo Travis carries her daughter amid the celebration at Ynares Antipolo. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netPaul Lee poses with his wife Rubie Chua and their daughter Tokyo. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netIan Sangalang enjoys a moment with his son. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.net Magnolia had their lucky charms with them as they celebrated their first PBA championship after four years.On the confetti-laden floor with thousands of fans cheering in the gallery, the Hotshots cherished the long-awaited moment with their friends and family–and for guards Paul Lee and Jio Jalalon, their newborn children.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next UP Lady Maroons halt UST Tigresses’ run for PSL Collegiate title LATEST STORIES Comelec assures no disruption in operations with retirement of execs ‘Duterte legacy:’ Gov’t boasts achievements so far P260,000 each in aid to displaced Marawi folk released by US Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Sarah Geronimo’s ‘Tala’ enters Billboard’s world digital song sales chart Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award ADVERTISEMENT Lee and Jalalon’s kids were born just 11 days apart and both players have played with a spring in their step since then, contributing to Magnolia’s success this season. Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Tim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’
RED DEER, A.B. – Three Fort St. John athletes helped lead Team B.C. to their first medal at the 2019 Canada Winter Games.The team, consisting of Yuna Lovell (Fort St. John), Amanda Mitchell (Fort St. John), Laura Hall (Salmon Arm) and Brooke Braun (Fort St. John), edged out Manitoba by .34 of a second to take the bronze medal on Sunday afternoon in the Team Pursuit.“It is amazing, really great,” said Amanda Mitchell, who is from Fort St. John. “Honestly, it means so much. It means our hard work has paid off. It means that we are finally able to show something for all this work and years of dedication we have put into this sport.”MEDAL ALERT – #TeamBC Women’s Long Track Speed Skating Team Pursuit wins BRONZE to secure British Columbia’s first medal of the @2019CanadaGames @BCSpeedSkating @SSC_PVC #WEareBC #jcg2019 pic.twitter.com/3j8t0YrjGS— Team BC (@GoTeamBC) February 17, 2019- Advertisement -Quebec won gold with a time of 3:28.70 and Alberta earned silver with a time of 3:33.05.Advertisement It was only about 30 minutes later that freestyle skier Brayden Kuroda (Penticton) landed Team B.C. their first gold medal.
The Donegal Chamber OrchestraPICTURE: With the kind permission of John Soffe (www.johnsoffe.com) Check his Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/JohnSoffePhotography),The Donegal Chamber Orchestra is in Inishowen for the first time as part of the Colgan Heritage Week this Saturday at 7.30pm in the Colgan Hall, Carndonagh. The ensemble was founded in June 2006 and successfully performed across the County, Northern Ireland, Dublin and as far as Tuscany. In its 8 years of history this will be the first time the group is performing in Inishowen! For this special occasion, the string orchestra will be joined by local musician Ciara Fagan, who will be playing John Baston’s Recorder Concerto No. 2 as soloist with the ensemble. Also to mark the first visit to the peninsula, the orchestra will perform ‘The Inishowen Set’ a new work especially composed for the string ensemble by Redcastle based composer John McLachlan.During February the composer worked with the Orchestra in this new work for a Letterkenny premiere and it will be performed for the second time this Saturday in Inishowen.John McLachlan is an internationally esteemed Dublin born composer who lives in Co. Donegal. See www.johnmclachlan.info for more.The Donegal Chamber Orchestra features classical string players from across county Donegal and is dedicated to helping students and amateur musicians achieve the highest level of excellence in performance. The Donegal Chamber Orchestra gives regular performances throughout the county during the year and previous seasons have included trips to Spain and Italy. Since its establishment the orchestra worked with guest artists such as violinist Darragh Morgan, Belgium soprano Tine Verbeke, renowned Romanian/Irish cellist Mihai Dancila, the Spanish chamber orchestra Concerto Málaga and the Italian Maestro Massimo Paris. The Orchestra was founded in 2006 by Hungarian violinist Orsolya Szabó-Yélamo (Violin resource tutor with Donegal Music Education Partnership) and Spanish cellist Víctor Yélamo (Artistic Director of the ensemble).www.dmep.ieFor their concert in Cardongagh, they will perform John McLachlan’s ‘The Inishowen Set’ conducted by the composer himself who also will introduce his piece to the audience. The program will also include Karl Jenkin’s Palladio, John Baston’s Recorder Concerto No. 2 (soloist: Ciara Fagan), Hindemith’s Op. 44, Britten’s Simple Symphony Op. 4, Tchaikovsky’s Elegy for string orchestra and Bartok’s Ten Folk Hungarian Pieces.This concert starts at 7.30pm. Admissions € 10/5. Tickets will be available at the door. For further information contact The Colgan Hall 074 93 29377 or [email protected] DONEGAL CHAMBER ORCHESTRA’S SATURDAY NIGHT CARNDONAGH CONCERT was last modified: June 27th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Carndonaghdonegal chamber orchestraInishowen SetPerformanceThe Colgan Hall