The fallen NRL star presented himself to Mackay police and was charged with two counts of public nuisance over an incident at the Townsville casino in January.The former Dally M Medallist will appear in Townsville Magistrates Court on March 22.Barba reportedly will not face domestic violence-related charges because his partner Ainslie Currie has not made a complaint.Barba was sacked by NRL club North Queensland without playing a game for the club last month over allegations he was violent towards Currie in the incident.The NRL gave Barba a lifetime ban after viewing CCTV footage of the incident.But Barba’s lawyer Campbell MacCallum claimed on Tuesday he would now attempt to have the ban overturned.”He’s expressed his desire to play football this year,” MacCallum told reporters.”He wants to explore his options in relation to challenging the NRL ban and hopefully play rugby league in some sort of capacity.”I don’t think he’d play NRL but certainly local football, and that’s going to help his focus.”He’s feeling the pressure of the media on him – he’s also feeling the pressure of not being able to play the game that he loves.”It’s certainly pretty distressing for himself and a trying time for his family.”Barba was charged a day after telling a television news crew he had “lost everything” and threatened to “hurt” the reporter.North Queensland coach Paul Green said Cowboys welfare officers would keep in touch with Barba.”Our welfare guys continue to stay in contact with Ben. The club will continue to support him however we can,” he said.Green was not as expansive when told Barba intended to fight the NRL ban.Asked if Barba should be allowed to play again, Green said: “It’s probably not for me to comment.”Besides the two charges, Barba was on Tuesday also banned by Queensland police from entering Townsville’s entertainment precinct for three months.After winning a premiership with Cronulla in 2016, the star fullback copped a 12 game NRL ban for testing positive to cocaine for a second time.He left for stints in French rugby union and the English Super League before being offered a lifeline by the Cowboys, only to be sacked on February 1 over the casino incident.
Published on cricket A day after Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said he is fine with the IPL moving out of the drought-affected state, his party colleague and BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur today warned that doing so will result in a loss of Rs 100 crore for the state.“Maharashtra gains Rs 100 crore from IPL and if the tournament goes out of the state, it will be a loss for the state,” Thakur told reporters on the sidelines of an event here.He said the figure is based on a study done by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) after the last edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL).Faced with criticism over huge quantity of water usage for IPL pitches, Fadnavis had yesterday said: “We do not have any problem, if IPL is shifted from Maharashtra this season. No potable water will be provided for IPL this year.”Thakur suggested the money earned from IPL can be better utilised by the Maharashtra Government for tackling drought and taking relief measures for the affected population.It can be noted that Maharashtra will be hosting 18 matches, spread across Mumbai, Pune and Nagpur, during the this year’s season of the popular domestic T20 tournament.He clarified the Cricket Board, too, is very concerned about the water crisis in the state and does not want to use potable water for maintaining the grounds.It is also mulling to adopt drought-hit villages along with the franchises, who have been asked to prepare a report on what else can be done on the drought-mitigation front, Thakur said.The franchises and BCCI will be presenting their side to the Bombay High Court on April 12 during the hearing of a petition on shifting the IPL matches out of the state in the wake of water scarcity, he said.A city-based NGO has petitioned the court challenging the use of over 60 lakh litres of water to maintain pitches and sought shifting of IPL matches out of the state given the second successive drought it is experiencing.Thakur acknowledged the cash-rich tournament has always been dogged by “unwanted controversies” in its nine- year history but stressed the league does a lot of good by helping “talent meet opportunity’’.The multi-city event, which is spread over nearly two months, helps the country’s youth find right cricket opportunities and also boosts the tourism sector, said the 41-year-old BCCI Secretary, who is also a Lok Sabha MP. ipl SHARE RELATED Will use treated sewage water for ground maintenance: BCCI null × All eyes on ‘King Carlos’ as Delhi Daredevils face KKR IPL: the silly season is here IPL 2016 IPL: Astral Poly Technik ties up with Gujarat Lions Maharashtra to make all public services online this year April 09, 2016 MCA moves apex court against shifting of IPL matches from Maharashtra COMMENTS COMMENT 0 SHARE SHARE EMAIL ipl