Jamaica has won the bid to host the 2016 Caribbean Volleyball Senior Men and Women Championship to be held in July of this year.Jamaica had been in contention to host the championships that will feature eight male and a similar number of female teams from across the region battling for the right be called Caribbean champions. Trinidad and Tobago are the defending male and female champions.Martinique had also expressed an interest in hosting the championships, but following a visit here late last year by president of the Caribbean Zonal Volleyball Association (CAZOVA), Mushtaque Mohammed, it was decided that Jamaica was the better option. During his visit Mohammed conducted site inspections and looked at hotels in Kingston. He also met with athletes and officials before making his decision.”From my inspection visit, it was evident that you and your team have the enthusiasm and drive necessary to provide the best conditions for the hosting of our major tournaments,” Mohammed told Jamaica Volleyball Association president Rudolph Speid in a letter communicating the good news.This will be the second occasion this year that Jamaica will be hosting a major international volleyball tournament as the island is set to host the second round of Women’s Beach Volleyball Olympic Qualifiers in Ocho Rios, at the end of January.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP): The racing world wondered if there was a worthy successor to last year’s Triple Crown champion American Pharoah. Enter Nyquist. The bay colt who lacks any distinctive markings won the Kentucky Derby by 11/4 lengths yesterday improving to 8-0 in his career as the fourth consecutive favourite to win the race. Ridden by Mario Gutierrez, Nyquist ran 2000 metres in 2:01.31. The three-year-old colt became the eighth unbeaten winner in the race’s 142-year history, and the first since Big Brown in 2008. He the 2-1 favourite in the full field of 20 horses. “We got a beautiful trip from the start to the end,” Gutierrez said. Nyquist delivered a second Derby win for Gutierrez, trainer Doug O’Neill and owner J. Paul Reddam. The southern California-based team was behind 2012 Derby and Preakness winner I’ll Have Another. “This is such a special horse,” O’Neill said. “You can see it in his eye on a daily basis and he’s such a professional.” The bay colt is from the first crop of sire Uncle Mo, who never got the chance to run in the Derby after being the early favourite for the 2011 race. He was scratched the day before with a stomach illness.
Essequibo Coast accidentAn Onderneeming, Essequibo Coast family is mourning the death of their 19-year-old family member, who was struck down and killed on Friday evening.Rajendra Anauge, called “Vijay”, of Section B Onderneeming, was killed about 18:40h on the Onderneeming Public Road after he was struck by a speeding motor car. The driver, a teacher, was allegedly drunk.At the young man’s home on Saturday morning, his family was in a state of shock as they continue to come to grips with the fact that he is dead. Relatives, neighbours and friends gathered at the residence to lend support as they prepared for the wake and funeral.The vehicle that struck the 19-year-old construction workerAnauge’s mother, Omawattie Singh, told Guyana Times that the family was very poor and that “Vijay”, her eldest child, worked very hard to maintain his young wife, parents, sister and five-year-old brother, who are all living in the same house.Friday’s accident was the first fatality in Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam) for 2019.This newspaper understands that the teenager left home in the company of his cousin, and was heading to the Onderneeming Sand Pit Housing area when he was struck down.According to Police reports, motor car PSS 7038 was proceeding north along the road reportedly at a fast rate of speed and while negotiating a right turn, the driver lost control of the vehicle and hit the teenager.The driver, a teacher at Suddie Primary School, picked up the unconscious and badly injured teenager and rushed him to the Suddie Public Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.According to persons who witnessed the accident, Anauge reportedly died on the spot. His body is currently at the Onderneeming Funeral Home awaiting an autopsy.Meanwhile, the 23-year-old teacher, a resident of Suddie Housing Scheme, failed a breathalyser test and was since taken into Police custody, where he is assisting with the investigation. He is expected to be charged and placed before the courts in the coming days.
The two clubs have squared off three times already this year, with the Huskies unable to secure a victory over the JDA Kings so far this season.Grande Prairie has outscored the Huskies 17-6 in the three games played.However, the Huskies showed a tremendous effort this past Saturday against the JDA Kings, holding the league’s most potent offence to just two goals at home, in a 2-1 loss.- Advertisement -Tuesday’s make up game begin at 8 p.m.
UPDATE – The evacuation alert for Pink Mountain has been rescinded as of 6pm SaturdayFire crews have made progress on the Pink Mountain forest fire. The fire is now 90% contained and still only 60 hectares in size. Crews were able to take advantage of the good weather and bring the fire under control. At this time, the Alaska Highway shouldn’t be affected by the fire. At one point Friday, the fire did cross a Spectra Energy pipeline. The pipeline was far enough under ground and therefore wasn’t affected. The hope is to lift the evacuation alert later this evening. Until that time, the evacuation alert remains in effect for the residents of Pink Mountain. Photo: This photo was taken Friday by the Ministry of Forests – Submitted There are still 35 fire fighters and 1 helicopter actioning the fire.In the mean time, a small fire has started east of Pink Mountain in the Nig Creek area. The fire is not affecting any residents in the area. – Advertisement –
Northern Ireland reached their first major tournament since 1986 after beating Greece 3-1 at Windsor Park on Thursday night. Despite taking on the top seeds of their group, Northern Ireland went into their Euro 2016 clash against Greece with great confidence.Prior to kick off, Michael O’Neill’s side were sitting top of Group F, knowing that a win would see them qualify – and they did just that. The match began with significant hostility towards the hosts, which only subsided once the ball was at the feet of Northern Ireland.Even with the hostility, it began an even affair before Greece came close to opening the score with just a quarter of an hour having been played.After winning a corner, the ball delivered into the box reaches Sokratis Papastathopoulo who headed the ball towards Alexandros Tziolis, but the midfielder’s effort at the far post was palmed away by Michael McGovern.Greece, however, offered little threat after the opportunity, and Northern Ireland quickly began to dictate the play.After a number of chances, just moments before half-time, they finally got their goal.An excellent through ball from Corry Evans played Stuart Dallas in on the right, who delivered a cross into the centre of the box for Steven Davis to slide in and send the ball into the back of the net.Heading into the dressing room with a lead, it really was almost party time for the hosts.Northern Ireland showed no desire to sit back with the one goal cushion, and within just three minutes of the start of the second half, two corners had been conceded by Greece.With such pressure, a second seemed almost inevitable.And in the 50th minute, the hosts doubled their lead and looked to have booked their place in France.Their third cross of the half paid off, as it reached Josh Magennis who, moving away from goal, sent his header over the defender at the near post, confirming that it was now time for the home side’s fans to get the party started.After the goal, Greece did enjoy increased possession of the ball, but as far as the fans were concerned, the game was already won.So, just to rub salt in the wounds of the visitors, Northern Ireland grabbed their third of the game.And it was Davis again with the finest goal of the game saved for last.Once more, a corner paid off. After the delivery was poorly cleared by Greece, from near the edge of the box, Davis superbly headed the ball into the far post.Greece did grab one goal back late on, from Christos Aravidis, but it wasn’t to spoil the final result for Northern Ireland who can finally look ahead to next summer. Northern Ireland 3-1 Greece: Michael O’Neill’s men book historic place at Euro 2016 1
Northern Lights, Dunree, Copyright Adam PorterTHESE were the moments brilliant Donegal photographer Adam Porter found the flicker of the Northern Lights back above the skies of Inishowen.Adam took the snaps from Dunree.Scientists believe 2013 could be a great year to see the Northern Lights over Donegal. And that could see a repeat of the visits of tourists last year.“The pictures are incredible,” said Jenny McNally from Inishowen Tourism.“Adam’s photographs have been seen around the world. And every single frame shows off our county once again.” ADAM’S STUNNING PICTURES CAPTURE MOMENT NORTHERN LIGHTS FLICKERED BACK INTO VIEW OVER INISHOWEN was last modified: February 15th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ADAM’S STUNNING PICTURES CAPTURE MOMENT NORTHERN LIGHTS FLICKERED BACK INTO VIEW OVER INISHOWEN
A mother-of-two has been charged with aiding and abetting arson at horse stables in Donegal causing €250,000 damage in November of last year.Julie McCartney (31) appeared today at Buncrana District Court where new charges were brought against her on which the State wishes to send her forward for trial in the Circuit Court, following the completion and service of a book of evidence. Inspector Denis Joyce made an application to withdraw three charges, two burglaries and one criminal damage, previously brought against the defendant who has been in custody for nine weeks.Garda Patrick Cunningham gave evidence of charging McCartney with the new offences at this morning’s court.Her reply to each charge after caution was ‘no comment’, Judge Paul Kelly heard.The first of the new charges brought against McCartney, of Ashmore House, Edenmore Court in Derry is handling stolen property at Sea Breeze Apts, Shroove, Greencastle, on November 4 and 5, 2018.The stolen property she was found to be in possession of was four horse bridles, 13 harnesses, ten reins and one horse saddle.McCartney has also been charged with aiding and abetting arson at Lenamore Stables, Derryvane, Muff on November 4 causing damage to the value of €250,000, including a Scania Lorry, two pedigree horses, adjoining stables and contents.Inspector Joyce made an application to remand the defendant in custody with consent to bail on the same conditions set out in Cloverhill High Court on December 4, 2018 which included a €20,000 cash bail.Applying for bail, Solicitor, Mr Ray Lannon told the court that his client was a mother of two children with special needs whom she hadn’t seen in nine weeks and had no previous convictions.Judge Kelly noted that bail had previously been refused on the basis of possible intimidation of witnesses and flight risk as the defendant is not resident in the State.Mr Lannon told the court that his client had an address with a friend in Castlederg, Co Tyrone where she could stay and therefore would not be near any witnesses.The solicitor also said there would be no flight risk as his client wished to meet the case and protest her innocence.Judge Kelly remanded McCartney in custody, with consent to bail on the High Court conditions, to appear before Letterkenny District Court by video link on Monday, January 14.Mum-of-two charged in connection with €250K arson at Donegal stables was last modified: January 10th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:buncranacourtdonegalJudith McCartney
The annual Letterkenny Gaels Camogie Camp took place last week at Pairc na nGael and once again was a huge success. Over sixty girls from five to fourteen years participated over the three days under the guidance of lead coach Ann Marie Gibbons.Day one saw the visit of Glenavy Camogs from Co Antrim. The girls joined with the Gael U-10 and U-12/14 groups and enjoyed the coaching and matches. They finished off their day with food and entertainment in Arena 7.On the second day the camp enjoyed a BBQ courtesy of Castlegrove Country House, prepared by Alan Sweeney and chef Gary. The final day saw Clare Dowdall, Camogie Regional Development Officer, work with different groups on first touch and striking from the hand. The coaching was all games based so the girls were always busy working with coaches Ann Marie, Rory, Emer, Una and Eimear.The U8s and nursery group combined under the watchful eyes of coach Ellen with assistance from Terezena, Mary and Bridget. Despite some windy weather, the camp was thoroughly enjoyed by all with positive feedback from parents and girls alike.The camogie club t-shirts were a great hit and undoubtedly will be evident at Pairc na Gaeil in the near future.For information on training contact Aideen on 086 816 3605 or drop down to training on Monday 6pm for U12/14 and older or on Fridays for U8 & U10. Picture Special: Letterkenny Gaels Camogie Camp a big hit! was last modified: August 15th, 2016 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:camogieLetterkenny Gaels
HERE’S one very happy girl with proud parents and principal.Aisling Ní Bhraoin is pictured with her delighted parents after receiving an entrance scholarship from UCD.They are pictured with Micheál Ó Giobúin, Príomhoide , Coláiste Ailigh. COLÁISTE AILIGH’S AISHLING WINS UCD SCHOLARSHIP was last modified: November 25th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Colaiste AilighUCD