To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
The US currency rose most against the risk-sensitive Australian and New Zealand dollars, gaining about 0.5 percent on each to sit at $0.6142 per Aussie and $0.5951 per kiwi .”Risk aversion and the US dollar are going hand in hand,” said Ray Attrill, head of FX strategy at National Australia Bank in Sydney.”Improvement has been based on less-bad statistics coming out of various parts of the world…but our view is that markets are going to remain choppy – we can’t expect an uninterrupted flow of singularly good or singularly bad news.”The dollar edged 0.1 percent lower to 108.55 yen. It rose a fraction against the British pound to $1.2321 and euro to $1.0878. The Aussie was also knocked by ratings agency S&P downgrading the outlook on the sovereign AAA rating from stable to negative.New York overnight reported 731 fatalities from COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the virus, the sharpest single-day spike, but state Governor Andrew Cuomo drew hope from an apparent levelling off in the number of hospitalisations.Across the Atlantic, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who has the illness, is in intensive care for a second night although his condition is stable.Elsewhere in Europe, Spain’s daily toll of coronavirus deaths rose for the first time in five days, but officials there and across the continent pushed forward with plans to begin lifting some lockdown measures soon.In Asia, the dollar rose 0.5 percent against the Korean won and lifted from a three-week low against the Chinese yuan – rising 0.1 percent to 7.0730 yuan in offshore trade.Investors are keenly watching as lockdowns lift in Wuhan, China, the epicentre of the pandemic, for clues as to how the rest of the world may fare when the worst has passed.Authorities are walking a fine line between allowing greater freedom of movement and preventing a second wave of infection, with particular concern people who show no symptoms but can still pass on the virus.Later on Wednesday, the US Federal Reserve releases minutes from its emergency meeting last month, which may include more commentary on the depth of the economic contraction that looms.”While the virus’ curve is flattening, the economic effects of the corona crisis will linger for years,” said Commonwealth Bank of Australia currency analyst Joe Capurso.”Economies will take time to re-open, some businesses will not re-open, and unemployment will take years to (recover). We think that means the dollar and yen will re-strengthen.”Topics : The dollar found a footing on Wednesday as investors returned to safe-havens, unwinding some risk currency gains made on hopes the coronavirus crisis in Europe and New York was slowing.The greenback rose on most majors besides the safe-haven Japanese yen, a day after suffering its worst drop against a basket of currencies in nearly two weeks.Safe-haven gains were slight but gathered pace in morning trade as the two-day rally in Asia’s equity markets lost steam and bonds and gold firmed.
Liverpool and Arsenal are monitoring Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas after the 33-year-old hinted he wants to play in England.(Daily Star) Legendary Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Cassilas is interesting Premier League clubsHowever, reports claim Liverpool are closing in on a deal for former Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes, 32, who is set to undergo a medical this month. (Goal.com) Liverpool midfielder Suso, 20, will leave Anfield to join AC Milan either in January or for free during the summer. (Daily Express) Real Madrid are set to make a bid for Chelsea’s Brazilian midfielder Ramires 27, in the January transfer window. (Talksport) Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech, 32, will look to quit Stamford Bridge in the near future if he remains second choice to 22-year-old Thibaut Courtois.(Sky Sports) Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has rejected an approach from Bayern Munich for 25-year-old Germany midfielder Mesut Ozil. (Metro) Wales international Gareth Bale, 25, has told Real Madrid team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo, 29, not to leave the Bernabeu club in order to rejoin Manchester United. (Daily Express) Stromsgodset midfielder Martin Odegaard, 15, has courted the attention of several Premier League clubs but Norway coach Per-Mathias Hogmo, who has included the teenager in his squad for his side’s forthcoming Euro 2016 qualifiers, has urged him to turn down a move to “an absolute top club”. (Daily Mail) Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United are all interested in 31-year-old Barcelona right-back Dani Alves, whose contract with the Spanish club runs out next summer, but the Brazilian wants to stay at the Nou Camp outfit. (Daily Star) Southampton midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin, 24, says the club treated him like “cattle” during the summer when he was denied a move to Tottenham, but that he now intends to stay at the south coast side for the rest of the season. (Daily Telegraph) QPR boss Harry Redknapp will make a move for Tottenham striker Emmanuel Adebayor, 30, and Toronto forward Jermain Defoe, 32, during the January transfer window. (The Sun – subscription required) OTHER GOSSIPPremier League fixtures could be played overseas within five seasons. The possibility of a new plan is on the agenda, six years after chief executive Richard Scudamore’s controversial ’39th game’ proposals were dismissed. (The Times – subscription) Calum Chambers could start for England against San MarinoEngland coach Roy Hodgson has cleared the air with Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal and defused their row over the fitness of 19-year-old defender Luke Shaw. (Daily Telegraph) Arsenal defender Calum Chambers, 19, is set to make his senior competitive debut for England in Thursday’s Euro 2016 qualifier against San Marino and may even earn a surprise start at centre-back .(Guardian) Manchester United defender Paddy McNair, 19, has added to the Red Devils injury woes, after picking up a hamstring injury that will rule him out for three weeks. (Daily Mirror) Liverpool midfielder Adam Lallana, 26, has rejected suggestions he would have refused to play for Southampton if they had blocked his £25m transfer to Anfield. (Independent) BEST OF SOCIAL MEDIABrighton manager Sami Hyypia celebrated his 41st birthday on Tuesday and received a reminder of his younger days from current Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren, 25, who took to Twitter to post an old snap of he and Hyypia from 2003 when the Croatian defender was just 14 years old. AND FINALLYRoy Keane has revealed he didn’t sign Robbie Savage when he was Sunderland manager because the midfielder’s voicemail message was ‘Hi, it’s Robbie – whazzup!’. (Daily Mail)
ALSOBlake Treinen, Dennis Santana, Adam Kolarek and Dylan Floro each pitched to teammates in the Dodgers’ intrasquad game Wednesday night. … Edwin Rios hit a home run to left field against Treinen, accounting for the only run in the game. … Each half-inning ended after three outs or when the pitcher reached his limit for the inning, whichever came first. … Roberts said that pitcher A.J. Ramos threw his first bullpen session, approximately 30 pitches, on Tuesday. He and 2020 draft pick Clayton Beeter were the most recent additions to the Dodgers’ 60-man player pool, which currently has nine vacancies. … The Dodgers placed minor leaguers Zach Reks, Cody Thomas and Edwin Uceta on the 10-day injured list Tuesday. No injury was listed for any of the three players. LOS ANGELES – The Dodgers made approximately $100 million in renovations to Dodger Stadium after the 2019 season ended. The nucleus is a brand-new center field plaza, which required a total teardown of the black backdrop facing home plate.The new backdrop is just as black, but it comes with some quirks. The singular tower of speakers just beyond dead-center is gone, replaced with a pair of towers to the left and right. The videographers’ well is wider. There’s also a pedestrian area behind the speaker towers, part of the new walkway that encircles the stadium.None of this figured to be news on July 7. For several Dodger players, that was the first day they stood in the batter’s box facing the new center field backdrop. They have only a couple weeks to get adjusted before Opening Day.For Max Muncy, the adjustment came with a cost: the first baseman was hit by a pitch on his left hand in the Dodgers’ intrasquad game Tuesday. How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire “The batter’s eye will no longer be a tarp, and a scaffold, all this kind of crazy concoction of stuff,” Smith said, “but a real structure that’ll have a very clean look, places for cameras to be positioned that don’t wobble, and a bar on top of the batter’s eye that’ll be out of the players’ view, but it’ll be a fabulous place for those of us who have always been envious of what the camera sees to enjoy the game that way too.”What does that mean for the hitters? It’s early, but Muncy’s experience served as a caution.“You don’t want a player to not be able to see, to put him in harm’s way. For Max to say he couldn’t see the ball because of the background, that’s a little unsettling,” said Dodgers manager Dave Roberts.Related Articles Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies “I couldn’t really see the ball,” Muncy said on a conference call with reporters. “I’m trying to adjust to some of the changes out there. (The ball) came up and in on me and hit me in the finger.”The injury is not considered serious. Muncy said he’ll stop swinging a bat while his finger heals, but he expects to be ready by July 23 for Opening Day against the Giants.As for how the new center field background might have caused him trouble, Muncy said, “I don’t know if I’ll comment too much on that. It’s something I have to get used to. It’s different from what we’re used to. Pitchers are pretty happy about the batter’s eye out there.”Dodger Stadium hasn’t opened its doors to fans in 2020 because of public-gathering restrictions triggered by the novel coronavirus outbreak. The stadium might not host fans at all this year, even if the team reaches the playoffs after the 60-game regular season. Since its completion, the new center field area has gotten relatively few up-close looks.In December, the Dodgers’ senior vice president of planning and development, Janet Marie Smith, described the new features to SportsNet LA.