Tri Cities Opera’s ‘Pinocchio’ tour makes its’ way to Johnson City

first_imgThe cast says its amazing to see the children’s faces light up with excitement as they enjoy the show. The Pinocchio show started touring in early September of 2019, making its way around different schools in the area. For more than 40 years, Tri-Cities opera resident artists have been visiting schools across the state and northern Pennsylvania to present children’s operas and concerts. Last year the opera told the tale of Goldie Locks and the Three Bears.center_img “At such a young age they should be exposed to music, theater, and art so it’s important they get to see something like this.” said Gina Moscato who performs multiple roles in the opera. JOHNSON CITY (WBNG) — Artists from Tri-Cities Opera treated students at Johnson City elementary school to an operatic experience, telling them classic childhood story of Pinocchio.last_img read more

Students have more freedom to roam

first_imgRemember the “olden” days at school when you weren’t allowed to be in the halls without a pass? How times have changed.Monica FinchSchenectadyMore from The Daily Gazette:Foss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?Motorcyclist injured in Thursday afternoon Schenectady crashEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusSchenectady High School senior class leaders look to salvage sense of normalcyEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motorists Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinionlast_img

Dollar creeps higher as virus worries return

first_imgThe US currency rose most against the risk-sensitive Australian and New Zealand dollars, gaining about 0.5 percent on each to sit at $0.6142 per Aussie and $0.5951 per kiwi .”Risk aversion and the US dollar are going hand in hand,” said Ray Attrill, head of FX strategy at National Australia Bank in Sydney.”Improvement has been based on less-bad statistics coming out of various parts of the world…but our view is that markets are going to remain choppy – we can’t expect an uninterrupted flow of singularly good or singularly bad news.”The dollar edged 0.1 percent lower to 108.55 yen. It rose a fraction against the British pound to $1.2321 and euro to $1.0878. The Aussie was also knocked by ratings agency S&P downgrading the outlook on the sovereign AAA rating from stable to negative.New York overnight reported 731 fatalities from COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the virus, the sharpest single-day spike, but state Governor Andrew Cuomo drew hope from an apparent levelling off in the number of hospitalisations.Across the Atlantic, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who has the illness, is in intensive care for a second night although his condition is stable.Elsewhere in Europe, Spain’s daily toll of coronavirus deaths rose for the first time in five days, but officials there and across the continent pushed forward with plans to begin lifting some lockdown measures soon.In Asia, the dollar rose 0.5 percent against the Korean won and lifted from a three-week low against the Chinese yuan – rising 0.1 percent to 7.0730 yuan in offshore trade.Investors are keenly watching as lockdowns lift in Wuhan, China, the epicentre of the pandemic, for clues as to how the rest of the world may fare when the worst has passed.Authorities are walking a fine line between allowing greater freedom of movement and preventing a second wave of infection, with particular concern people who show no symptoms but can still pass on the virus.Later on Wednesday, the US Federal Reserve releases minutes from its emergency meeting last month, which may include more commentary on the depth of the economic contraction that looms.”While the virus’ curve is flattening, the economic effects of the corona crisis will linger for years,” said Commonwealth Bank of Australia currency analyst Joe Capurso.”Economies will take time to re-open, some businesses will not re-open, and unemployment will take years to (recover). We think that means the dollar and yen will re-strengthen.”Topics : The dollar found a footing on Wednesday as investors returned to safe-havens, unwinding some risk currency gains made on hopes the coronavirus crisis in Europe and New York was slowing.The greenback rose on most majors besides the safe-haven Japanese yen, a day after suffering its worst drop against a basket of currencies in nearly two weeks.Safe-haven gains were slight but gathered pace in morning trade as the two-day rally in Asia’s equity markets lost steam and bonds and gold firmed.last_img read more

PPE production soars but quality, distribution issues remain

first_imgTopics : Quantity does not equal quality for the Indonesian textile industry, which has contributed to a production surplus of personal protective equipment (PPE) to meet demand during the COVID-19 health crisis, despite complaints from users over quality and distribution.The country now has the monthly capacity to produce 394.82 million surgical masks, an increase from just 150 million masks prior to the pandemic. As a result, Industry Ministry data project a surplus of almost 2 billion surgical mask by the end of the year.The soaring production, which began in April, stemmed from the changing business in the textile industry during the pandemic and government demand due to prior supply shortages, Industry Minister Agus Gumiwang said on Tuesday. However, national demand would still be prioritized, he said.The nationally produced PPE include high-grade ISO 16604 standard coveralls for doctors and health workers at hospitals and AATCC 42 standard coveralls for test-site attendants, according to COVID-19 task force data.The ministry projected a deficit only for N95 masks by the end of the year, when demand for the product is expected to surpass the actual number of produced masks by 5.39 million units.Despite the industry’s success in avoiding PPE shortages, many health workers who are using the products are complaining about the quality of locally produced PPE.“While the majority of the products have already passed the medical standards, many doctors are complaining that the coveralls are too heavy and uncomfortable. This is the reason why we could not take in all the locally made PPE products,” Health Ministry crisis center head Budi Sylvana said during the same discussion.He added that many small hospitals and clinics also refused to use washable PPE and preferred instead to purchase disposable products, as they did not have the systems in place to disinfect PPE.“There are cases of COVID-19 infection among medical workers that are caused by unsterile PPE. Not all hospitals have the ability to sterilize the PPE correctly,” he said.Budi said small hospitals and clinics usually used a third-party laundry service that was not equipped with the tools for proper sterilization.Besides being uncomfortable, Indonesian Hospital Association (Persi) secretary-general Lia Gardenia Partakusuma also complained about the distribution process of PPE to hospitals.“Sometimes there’s a delay in PPE shipment due to a lack of supply, among other things. Hospitals need a steady supply of PPE to operate,” she said.Persi data show that, on average, medical workers at 800 COVID-19 referral hospitals in Indonesia require 20 PPE per COVID-19 inpatient per day.“As the PSBB are currently being relaxed, hospitals need more PPE to handle [additional cases],” she said.The country recorded more than 33,000 cases of COVID-19 as of Tuesday, with more than 1,900 deaths, government data show.center_img “The textile industry was trying to sustain its factories by diversifying its products, which include surgical masks, cloth masks and coveralls. It led to significant growth of PPE production,” he said during an online discussion.As demand dwindles, many textile industries are suffering from low factory utilization due to the government’s large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) to contain COVID-19.As a result of the surplus, the Industry Ministry asked the Trade Ministry to revise a regulation that restricts the export of PPE so that it can begin exporting abroad.“The oversupply condition must be addressed with the right policy to capitalize on the huge export potential for PPE,” Agus said, referring to Ministerial Regulation (Permendag) No. 23/2020.last_img read more

Sex abuse payout by LA archdiocese

first_img Share Tweet FaithInternationalLifestylePrint Sex abuse payout by LA archdiocese by: – March 13, 2013 Share Sharing is caring!center_img 56 Views   no discussions Share Cardinal Roger Mahony is helping to select the next pope despite being embroiled in this scandalThe Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles is to pay out nearly $10m (£6.7m) to settle four cases of sexual abuse by a former priest, Father Michael Baker.Recently released files show Cardinal Roger Mahony knew the priest had abused but put him back into ministry, where he is alleged to have abused again.The settlement comes as the cardinals of the Catholic Church are meeting to select a new pope following the abdication of Benedict XVI. Cardinal Mahony is at the conclave.Nearly 10,000 US Catholics signed a petition urging him not to go because of the allegations he protected priests accused of child sex abuse.Church filesCardinal Mahony was the popular archbishop of the Los Angeles Archdiocese – the largest in the US, representing five million Catholics – for 26 years until his retirement in 2011.As part of this settlement, no parties admit any wrongdoing. But thousands of pages of church files were recently released on a court order, revealing that Cardinal Mahony shielded a number of accused priests from the law; among them Baker, who in 1986 was sent for psychological treatment at a church-run centre and then allowed back into ministry.He went on to abuse again and this payment of $9.9m relates to four of his alleged victims, who accused him of molesting them – and claimed the cardinal covered up his behaviour. Two of the plaintiffs, who are brothers, will get $4 million each, and the two others will get nearly $1 million each, plaintiff’s attorney John Manly said according to the Associated Press news agency.Baker was convicted of child molestation in 2007 – the same year the LA archdiocese reached a record-breaking $660m settlement with hundreds of abuse victims – and released in 2011. ‘Mistakes’This is a further embarrassment for the archdiocese and especially for Cardinal Roger Mahony, says the BBC’s Jane Little in Washington.Cardinal Mahony has called Michael Baker his “greatest mistake”.“We have for a long, long time said that we made serious mistakes with Michael Baker and we had always taken the position in these cases that whatever Baker did we were responsible for,” AP quoted J Michael Hennigan, an archdiocese attorney, as saying.“That was never an issue.”“The person who could have stopped this in its tracks and prevented three out of four of these children from being sexually assaulted is now sitting in Rome voting for the next vicar of Christ,” said Mr Manly. “I find that terribly troubling.”BBC Newslast_img read more

Croatia Axes Kalinic from World Cup Squad

first_imgCroatia Coach Zlatko Dalic has sent striker Nikola Kalinic home from the World Cup in disgrace.The Vatreni won their opening match on Saturday night, defeating Nigeria 2-0.Kalinic, the AC Milan striker who once upon a time represented Blackburn Rovers, was a substitute during the encounter. It was the fourth successive international fixture where he had been left on the bench.But asked to come on in the 85th minute, Kalinic complained of a back problem and refused to enter the fray – something which didn’t convince his manager.Marko Pjaca, nominally a wide player, came on instead and Kalinic’s subsequent exit means Croatia have just Mario Mandzukic left within their squad as an out-and-out No.9.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

For Dodgers’ Max Muncy, new center field backdrop is a painful adjustment

first_imgALSOBlake Treinen, Dennis Santana, Adam Kolarek and Dylan Floro each pitched to teammates in the Dodgers’ intrasquad game Wednesday night. … Edwin Rios hit a home run to left field against Treinen, accounting for the only run in the game. … Each half-inning ended after three outs or when the pitcher reached his limit for the inning, whichever came first. … Roberts said that pitcher A.J. Ramos threw his first bullpen session, approximately 30 pitches, on Tuesday. He and 2020 draft pick Clayton Beeter were the most recent additions to the Dodgers’ 60-man player pool, which currently has nine vacancies. … The Dodgers placed minor leaguers Zach Reks, Cody Thomas and Edwin Uceta on the 10-day injured list Tuesday. No injury was listed for any of the three players. LOS ANGELES – The Dodgers made approximately $100 million in renovations to Dodger Stadium after the 2019 season ended. The nucleus is a brand-new center field plaza, which required a total teardown of the black backdrop facing home plate.The new backdrop is just as black, but it comes with some quirks. The singular tower of speakers just beyond dead-center is gone, replaced with a pair of towers to the left and right. The videographers’ well is wider. There’s also a pedestrian area behind the speaker towers, part of the new walkway that encircles the stadium.None of this figured to be news on July 7. For several Dodger players, that was the first day they stood in the batter’s box facing the new center field backdrop. They have only a couple weeks to get adjusted before Opening Day.For Max Muncy, the adjustment came with a cost: the first baseman was hit by a pitch on his left hand in the Dodgers’ intrasquad game Tuesday. How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire “The batter’s eye will no longer be a tarp, and a scaffold, all this kind of crazy concoction of stuff,” Smith said, “but a real structure that’ll have a very clean look, places for cameras to be positioned that don’t wobble, and a bar on top of the batter’s eye that’ll be out of the players’ view, but it’ll be a fabulous place for those of us who have always been envious of what the camera sees to enjoy the game that way too.”What does that mean for the hitters? It’s early, but Muncy’s experience served as a caution.“You don’t want a player to not be able to see, to put him in harm’s way. For Max to say he couldn’t see the ball because of the background, that’s a little unsettling,” said Dodgers manager Dave Roberts.Related Articles Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies “I couldn’t really see the ball,” Muncy said on a conference call with reporters. “I’m trying to adjust to some of the changes out there. (The ball) came up and in on me and hit me in the finger.”The injury is not considered serious. Muncy said he’ll stop swinging a bat while his finger heals, but he expects to be ready by July 23 for Opening Day against the Giants.As for how the new center field background might have caused him trouble, Muncy said, “I don’t know if I’ll comment too much on that. It’s something I have to get used to. It’s different from what we’re used to. Pitchers are pretty happy about the batter’s eye out there.”Dodger Stadium hasn’t opened its doors to fans in 2020 because of public-gathering restrictions triggered by the novel coronavirus outbreak. The stadium might not host fans at all this year, even if the team reaches the playoffs after the 60-game regular season. Since its completion, the new center field area has gotten relatively few up-close looks.In December, the Dodgers’ senior vice president of planning and development, Janet Marie Smith, described the new features to SportsNet LA.last_img read more