Facebook rejects call to share revenue with Australian media

first_imgFacebook on Monday rejected calls from the Australian government and news companies that it share advertising revenue with the media, suggesting it would rather cut news content from its platform.The US tech giant said in a submission to Australia’s competition watchdog that news represents a “very small fraction” of the content in an average user’s news feed.”If there were no news content available on Facebook in Australia, we are confident the impact on Facebook’s community metrics and revenues in Australia would not be significant,” it said in a thinly veiled threat to boycott local news companies. “Given the social value and benefit to news publishers, we would strongly prefer to continue enabling news publishers’ content to be available on our platform,” it said.In an effort being closely watched around the world, Australia is set to unveil plans to force Facebook and Google to share advertising revenue they earn from news featured in their services.The initiative has been strongly pushed by Australia’s two biggest media companies, Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp and Nine Entertainment.They argue that the crisis roiling the news industry worldwide is mainly because of Google, Facebook and other large tech firms capturing the vast majority of online advertising revenues, without fairly compensating media companies for advertisements placed against news content. The loss of advertising dollars that previously flowed to newspapers has forced cutbacks and bankruptcies across the sector, a process exacerbated by the economic downturn caused by the coronavirus pandemic.In Australia, News Corp, Nine and other media have both announced major cuts in editorial staff, with more than 170 newsrooms and newspapers suspended or shuttered in recent years.Australia’s competition regulator, the ACCC, has estimated that Google and Facebook together earn some Aus$6 billion (US$4 billion) a year from advertising in the country.Leading news publishers have demanded the two companies pay at least 10 percent of that money each year to local news organizations.Google last month rejected the demand, saying it made barely Aus$10 million a year from news-linked advertising.The two companies’ positions bode ill for negotiations the ACCC hopes to pursue between the tech firms and Australian media companies over a mandatory “code of conduct” governing issues such as revenue sharing, curbing disinformation, data sharing and protecting user privacy.The ACCC has until the end of July to draw up the final code, which the government has said it will quickly implement.center_img Topics :last_img read more

U.S. Open 2019: Abraham Ancer talks Pebble Beach, how late father helped his game

first_img U.S. Open 2019: Jason Day says he’s ‘underachieved,’ but new caddy Steve Williams will help “It’s always tough,” Ancer told Omnisport, speaking on behalf of Corona Premier. “Every day I think about it would be awesome to have him here with me watching me play, I know he still is, but I mean, just being a little selfish and just having him here it would be incredible just to see all the work and all the effort he put in and invested in me to get me here.”Abraham Sr. died in 2014 after suffering a heart attack. He never got a chance to see his son play on the PGA Tour, but encouraged his namesake in the game from the time he was in diapers.He had his son on the course in the family’s home town of Reynosa, Mexico, and did all he could to help the young man’s game. What came of that was a chance to play in junior college and eventually a scholarship to Oklahoma which served as a springboard to professional golf.It’s something Ancer would have loved to experience with his dad, especially when, a year after his father’s death, he earned his PGA Tour card.”It took a lot out of him money-wise, he went out of his way for me to play at junior events, whatever he could get me on he would do,” Ancer said. “So I’ll always be extremely thankful for that.”Ancer never really got to play in the high-level AJGA events growing up, but he said both of his parents did all they could to support him which helped him earn a chance to play at the next level. And now he has a chance to play in the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach. U.S. Open 2019: Dustin Johnson says he’s ‘very comfortable’ at Pebble Beach But when Ancer hits his first drive and rolls his first putt, he will be without the man who helped grow his passion for the game.Ancer’s father, also named Abraham, died in 2014 and never saw the 28-year-old play in a single major. It’s difficult for Ancer to deal with and something he would have loved to be able to share with his dad. Related Newscenter_img When Abraham Ancer steps onto the first tee at Pebble Beach in the first round of the U.S. Open on Thursday it will be a special moment for a lot of reasons.It will be his first appearance at the Open and only his third opportunity at a major, and of course, just playing at Pebble Beach is special in and of itself. It’s a moment not lost on the young golfer from Mexico and one he can’t wait to experience for the first time.”Every hole is just so good out here,” Ancer said. “But I mean the stretch from 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10, all of those holes that are right along the ocean, I mean the views are incredible.”I’m going to try to just enjoy that and it’s funny to say that, at Corona their saying is to ‘enjoy the view’ and this is just perfect for this golf course.”last_img read more