Pope to visit US in September

first_img Share Share FaithLifestyle Pope to visit US in September by: BBC News – November 17, 2014 Tweet Sharing is caring!center_img Pope Francis announced his plans at a meeting of Protestant, Muslim and Jewish religious leadersThe Pope has announced plans to visit the US next September, his first trip there since his election last year.Pope Francis said he would attend an international Catholic conference on marriage in Philadelphia.He is also expected to address the UN General Assembly in New York and meet President Barack Obama in Washington.The announcement, at an interreligious conference on family values in the Vatican, was eagerly awaited after months of speculation.Speaking at the Vatican on Monday, the pontiff said he would travel to Philadelphia for the “World Meeting of Families”, a gathering sponsored by the Roman Catholic Church which takes place every three years.The website of the conference said in a statement that Pope Francis would most likely travel there from 25 to 27 September, although dates are yet to be finalised.Philadelphia Archbishop Charles Chaput, who had personally invited the Pope, said he was “overjoyed” by the announcement, adding: “A hallmark of his papacy has been a keen focus on the many challenges that families face today globally.“His charisma, presence and voice will electrify the gathering.”Pope Francis will become the fourth pope to visit the US, in a visit that Catholic officials say could draw up to a million people.According to AP news agency, he had received invitations from President Obama, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and Congress, as well as letters from more than 10,000 school children in Philadelphia, encouraging him to make the trip. Share 446 Views   no discussionslast_img read more

Hospitality revamps catering

first_imgUSC Hospitality unveiled a new website this week for its express catering service, which will replace the USC room service website and include a larger menu.Erika Chesley, the USC Hospitality associate director for special events, sales and marketing, said the new express catering service will focus on delivering prepared food and drinks anywhere on the University Park or Health Sciences campuses.“During this summer and up to this point, we worked on creating a brand-new menu for the new concept,” Chesley said. “We deliver freshly prepared meals that are for groups anywhere from 10 to 500 guests, and pretty much everything is either cold or room temperature service, with exception to the coffee.”Chesley said one of the main changes will be the new website, which she said is an improvement upon the old USC room service site.“The new website is phenomenal,” Chesley said. “The website we had for room service was very outdated … this new site is very easy to use and it only takes a couple clicks to get your order.”Chesley also said the express catering service’s menu will be different from the original room service menu since USC Hospitality plans to offer more selections in the new menu, as well as upgraded versions of old menu items.“We’ve expanded the menu and there are more breakfast selections that are available now,” Chesley said. “When it comes to the lunches, we’ve really upgraded the sandwiches, so there’s a wider variety of sandwich options now than there were before.”Some faculty members, such as Associate Director of the Marshall Undergraduate Advising Office Aba Cassell, have praised the service for being a convenient meal option.“I use the express catering because it’s convenient, and because in terms of service, I believe they do a good job,” Cassell said.Cassell did, however, voice concern over the quality of the service.“In terms of placing the order and paying, it can be a bit difficult, though, because it seems they are short-staffed,” Cassell said.Some students said they would not use the service because of its price.“I saw the [updated] USC express catering website from an email from USC Hospitality, and it seemed to be easy to use and well put together,” said Nicole Matthews, a sophomore majoring in political science. “The only issue that I have with the whole service is that it’s pricey for a college student on a budget and frankly, it’s unreasonable unless you work for a department at USC and need something convenient.”last_img read more

More hurdles for AFCON hero, Mba

first_imgThere seems to be no end in sight for the club future of AFCON hero Sunday Mba. Just when it appeared that his travails would soon be resolved amicably, a new twist has appeared in the tussle between Rangers International of Enugu and Warri Wolves over who owns the player.The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) through an ad-hoc committee have ruled that Mba still has a contract with Warri Wolves and as such his preferred club Enugu Rangers will have to cough out a transfer fee agreed by both players for the star player.Wolves are demanding for 12 million Naira (about $75,000) and Rangers have since reacted by saying they are “studying” the offer.While this impasse continues it is the promising career of Mba that has been put on hold. Mba was a complete shadow of himself during the 2014 FIFA WorldCup qualifier against Kenya in Calabar last month. As it is now, Mba has yet to play club football in Nigeria several weeks after his goal won Nigeria a third AFCON title in Johannesburg, South Africa.And reports have also suggested that overseas clubs who have shown interest in the player are gradually pulling out of negotiations because they do not know which club they should actually be doing business with. What is even more worrisome is that both Rangers and Warri Wolves do not appear to be willing to shift grounds as the large-sized egos of their top officials have now got in the way.Nigeria goalkeeper trainer Ike Shorunmu told MTN.com that the row over Mba has been detrimental to the player’s career.”I am urging and pleading with both clubs (Rangers and Warri Wolves) to settle the case and allow Sunday (Mba) concentrate on his career,” said Shorunmu, himself a former international star.“What is happening is not good for his career. I don’t really know what transpired between the clubs on Sunday’s transfer, they know. I want them to consider the boys career and settle it in time. It is taking its toll on him already.”last_img read more