Salmonella outbreak tied to pot pies totaled 401 cases

first_imgNov 26, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – A widely publicized Salmonella outbreak that was linked to frozen pot pies last year involved 401 cases in 41 states and put more than 100 patients in hospitals, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said today in a final report on the episode.The outbreak prompted changes in the label instructions for Banquet pot pies and warnings about the importance of thoroughly cooking frozen, not-ready-to-eat foods. And in today’s report, the CDC says the food industry and regulators should examine manufacturing processes for such foods to determine how safe it is to cook them in microwave ovens.Cases in the outbreak began in February and continued until December, peaking in September, according to the article in the Nov 28 issue of Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. Of patients for whom the information was available, 144 of 289 (50%) had bloody diarrhea, and 108 of 338 (32%) were hospitalized, the CDC says. The outbreak strain is known as Salmonella enterica serotype I 4,5,12:i:-.Rajal Mody, MD, a CDC Epidemic Intelligence Service officer, said a hospitalization rate of 32% is “close to average” for Salmonella outbreaks. He said a recent study that compared the hospitalization rates for many different Salmonella serotypes found that the average is 22.8%. The study was published in the Journal of Infectious Diseases (see link below).”There are definitely some strains that are lower, some in the 16% range, and there’s one as high as 67%, but that is a fairly rare serotype,” Mody told CIDRAP News. He said the same study indicated that the average hospitalization rate for the I 4,5,12:i:- strain is about 25%.The first cluster of cases involving the outbreak strain with matching DNA fingerprints was detected by Pennsylvania disease detectives in June, the CDC report says. But the source of infection was not discovered until a case-control study was launched in October.As part of that effort, epidemiologists in the Minnesota Department of Health determined that four case-patients had eaten Banquet pot pies in the week before they got sick. Further investigation of cases and neighborhood matched controls pointed to Banquet turkey pot pies as the only food associated with the outbreak.In subsequent interviews, 174 of 236 case-patients reported they had eaten frozen pot pies in the week before they fell ill, and more than 90% of these were Banquet or other brands made in the same plant. In addition, the outbreak strain was found in 13 unopened Banquet turkey pot pies collected from patients, all of them produced on Jul 13 or Jul 31, 2007.ConAgra Foods on Oct 8, 2007, suspended production of pot pies at the plant linked to the outbreak, and a few days later the company recalled all pot pies made there. Previous reports listed the plant location as Marshall, Mo.The CDC report indicates that many of the outbreak cases might have been related to undercooking of the pot pies in microwave ovens. “Banquet pot pie microwave instructions might have been confusing because different parts of the package recommended different preparation times,” the article says. Also, the microwave instructions varied by wattage, but few of the patients who were interviewed knew the wattage of their microwave. The report notes that ConAgra revised the labeling and instructions on the pot pies before resuming production.However, improper microwave cooking could not explain the entire outbreak, because 23% of case-patients who ate a pot pie reported cooking the pies in conventional ovens, the CDC says. The case-control study was not large enough to determine whether using a microwave rather than a conventional oven was a risk factor for illness.Several previous salmonellosis outbreaks have been linked to frozen, not-ready-to-eat foods, including several tied to frozen chicken entrees, the report notes. The pot pie outbreak differed from the previous ones in that all the meat ingredients in the pies were supposed to be precooked, with the crust being the only raw part, it says. The report suggests that contamination could have come from “raw frozen poultry pastes” used in making the pies. However, an intensive investigation of the ConAgra plant and its suppliers failed to pinpoint any source of contamination.In view of the likely role of microwave cooking in the outbreak, the CDC says, “Industry and regulators should consider examining the manufacturing processes for frozen not ready-to-eat foods to determine the extent to which microwave cooking is safe for these products.”Besides calling for clear instructions and warnings on frozen microwavable foods, the agency says that clear and prominent listing of the wattage on microwave ovens might improve consumer compliance with the cooking instructions.CDC. Multistate outbreak of Salmonella infections associated with frozen pot pies—United States, 2007. MMWR 2008 Nov 28;57(47):1277-80 [Full text]See also: Oct 12, 2007, CIDRAP News story “ConAgra recalls pot pies as Salmonella cases rise”Study from Jul 1, 2008, Journal of Infectious Diseases: “Salmonellosis outcomes differ substantially by serotype”last_img read more

Equinor hires Noble rig for Valemon campaign

first_imgEquinor noted that, being the world’s tallest jack-up rig, Noble Lloyd Noble can stand on the seabed in up to 150 metres of water under tough weather conditions. Equinor said on Tuesday that the contract includes an option for drilling one extra well at the Valemon field and 11 wells that are not included in the same licence. Due to its fragmented high-pressure, high-temperature qualities, Valemon is a complex reservoir. The field is produced by pressure depletion. Additional cost includes integrated services such as managed pressure drilling, treatment of cuttings and wastewater as well as running casing and tubing, further, rig modifications, mobilization and demobilization.  The total value of the day rates for the fixed part of the contract is estimated at around $51 million. “We are very pleased with the job this rig has done for us at the Mariner field off the coast of Scotland, in particular, the safety culture”, says Erik G. Kirkemo, senior vice president of drilling & well operations. Noble Corporation has been awarded a contract by Equinor for drilling three wells at the Valemon field from the summer of 2021, using the Noble Lloyd Noble drilling rig. Valemon is a field in the northern part of the North Sea, just west of the Kvitebjørn field. The water depth is 135 metres. Valemon was discovered in 1985, and the plan for development and operation (PDO) was approved in 2011. The Valemon drilling campaign is estimated to take around 230 days.center_img “With strong onboard leadership they have embedded best practice for safety and have not had any incidents so far in 2020. Through good planning and collaboration, they have achieved strong operational results close to what we define as a perfect well”. The rig contractor also received a master frame agreement with Equinor. The condensate is transported by pipeline to the Kvitebjørn field, and via the Kvitebjørn Oil Pipeline to Mongstad. The rich gas is exported via the previous Huldra pipeline to Heimdal for further export to the UK or continental Europe. “Equinor is exploring new ways of working with suppliers to increase efficiency and create value together. Long-term collaboration with suppliers who deliver on our expectations is an important element in that respect. This way we reward safe and efficient deliveries and keep building on experience and improvement results achieved in past projects”, says Peggy Krantz-Underland, Equinor’s chief procurement officer. The contract is subject to the rig receiving an Acknowledgement of Compliance from the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway. The partners of the Valemon licence are Equinor (66.78 per cent, operator), Petoro (30 per cent) and Shell (3.22 per cent). The field is developed with a fixed production platform with a simplified separation process design. The platform is remotely controlled from an operations centre onshore. Production started in 2015.last_img read more

Budweiser Nationals boasts Oct. 7, 8 $1,500 to win IMCA Modified features at Bakersfield

first_imgBAKERSFIELD, Calif. (Oct. 4) – A pair of $1,500 to win features for Xtreme Motor Sports IMCA Modifieds are on tap at Bakersfield Speedway’s 31st annual Budweiser Nationals this Friday and Saturday, Oct. 7 and 8.Both 40-lap features are 2017 Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot qualifying events and pay a minimum of $100 to start.Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods begin qualifying on Friday. They’ll race 30 laps for $1,500 to win on Saturday. The complete program for IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars totes a $600 to win feature and will be run Saturday.Car and driver is $90 each night for the Modifieds, $105 for both days for the SportMods and $150 to start in the rear for Saturday qualifying only, and $65 Saturday for the Stock Cars. Pit passes are $40.Pit gates open at noon both days, pre-race tech starts at 12:15 p.m. and racing starts at 5 p.m. RACEceivers and transponders are required.Friday grandstand admission is $14 for adults, $12 for seniors and military and $7 for kids ages 6-12. On Saturday, spectator admission is $18 for adults, $16 for seniors and military and $9 for kids ages 6-12. Five and under get in free both days.More information is available at the www.bakersfieldspeedway.com website or by calling 661 393-3373.last_img read more

Prisons Ladies handed GhS 5,000 Fine for Assault On Referee Bremansu

first_img Source: Ghana FA The GFA Disciplinary Committee has fined Prisons Ladies FC an amount of GHc5000.00 and has ordered the club to report the supporter who assaulted Referee Theresa Bremansu (on April 7) before the police station with jurisdiction for purposes of prosecution.Below is the Disciplinary Committee’s decision on the case. The full decision has been sent to Prisons Ladies FC:DECISION1. Prisons Ladies FC are fined an amount of GHC 5,000.00 payable within 14 days from April 24 2019, out of which fine an amount of GHC 2,000.00 shall be paid in compensation to Referee Theresa Bremansu.2. The Club is ordered to produce the assaulter identified as belonging to the Club within 7 days from April 23 2019 before the police station with jurisdiction for the purposes of prosecution.  The Club shall accordingly file to the GFA a written report of compliance with this order not later than May 2, 2019.3. The Club shall be liable to a further sanction of 2 home match ban in any competition of the GFA anytime from the date of this decision, upon failure to fully comply with the orders herein.4. On the player and team masseur (the accused) are acquitted and discharged on all counts. Though the Disciplinary Committee finds that their testimonies were not credible and full of inconsistencies, they are acquitted on procedural technical grounds particularly because of a patent defect in the charge preferred by the Prosecutor and also that it has not been proved beyond doubt that they were directly involved in the assault.That notwithstanding, the fact of the assault and the involvement of persons associated with the club is positively established by the evidence adduced before the Disciplinary Committee including documentary evidence by way of the exhibits and official reports.last_img read more