Rudolph Speid, president of the Jamaica Volleyball Association (JAVA), has expressed delight at the association being selected to host the Caribbean Zonal Volleyball Association (CAZOVA) Volleyball Championship in July this year. The president said the selection puts Jamaica one step closer to realising the association’s objective of popularising, professionalising, and commercialising the sport in the country.This will be the fourth time since last year that Jamaica has been selected to host an international volleyball tournament. In May 2015, Jamaica hosted the first round of the Olympic Beach Volleyball qualifiers in Ocho Rios and, in August, the CAZOVA Under-19 championships were held at the G.C. Foster College in St. Catherine. JAVA received high praise from CAZOVA for both tournaments. Jamaica has also been selected to host the second round of Olympic qualifiers at the end of the month, and now the Caribbean Championships. Speid believes these achievements will help boost the sport locally.”The volleyball community is ecstatic about being selected to host the Caribbean championships. The country has done a good job hosting two previous tournaments last year, and it will help to build the image of the sport,” he said.From July 7 to 17, 16 teams from across the region – eight male and eight female – will be competing for the respective titles, both held by Trinidad and Tobago. Due to the regional appeal, JAVA will be tasked with partnering with a Caribbean communications network to send pictures out to the region. “We have to get an event like this properly televised and reported on so that people here will start to identify with the sport and so that it can be seen as an alternative to other sports.”RAMP UP PREPARATIONSIt is only one of many things JAVA will have to get done to ensure a successful staging of the championships estimated to cost about J$20million. “We have to now ramp up preparations. The local organising committee will take over now and ensure that we get the relevant permits, meet with Major Desmon Brown at Independence Park Limited and, most important, take measures to ensure that the venue gets filled every night for the tournament.”They will also have to tie down an estimated 250 hotel rooms, possibly more, to accommodate the visiting teams and any visitor who might be travelling to see the tournament, an indicator, Speid says, on the potential impact the tournaments can have on sports tourism.CAZOVA has also promised to deliver an indoor court that will have to be in place by April. Agreements have already been reached to have the court installed at the National Arena.Meanwhile, JAVA will be out seeking sponsors to help fund the venture.”We have some national sponsors, but we will need to go beyond them. We have to put on a very good event,” Speid said.
Things finally heated up in the Wray and Nephew Contender series on Wednesday night, as Guyana’s Revlon Lake secured a hard-fought majority decision over Anthony Woods, from the Bahamas, in their five-round, preliminary bout.It was all out action from the first minute, as both men threw caution to the wind and engaged each other in fast and furious action.After five bruising rounds, Jamaican judges Lindell Allen 49-46 and Peter Richards 48-47 voted for Lake, while American judge Eddie Cotton voted 48-47 for Woods. The large and enthusiastic crowd cheered wildly throughout the fight and most agreed with the decision.Two teams of eight boxers representing the Caribbean and the USA started the competition, on March 4, and the ultimate goal is to win the title Wray and Nephew Welterweight Contender 2016 and the first prize of $2-million.Lake went into the fight with eight wins 13 losses and two draws while Woods had nine, wins and 13 losses.Both men came in with aggression on their minds and it was action galore from the first bell, to the delight of the fans, who had been longing for such an approach since the start of the competition. Lake started throwing punches from all angles, some of which landed while others missed the mark. That did not deter him, however, as he kept in an attacking mode throughout.Woods decided to fight fire with fire, and it paid dividends as a hook to the head opened a small cut on the outside of Lake’s left eye. Blood flowed, but instead of being a hindrance, it spurred Lake into more furious action. Woods stayed cool, however, kept attacking, and won the round.Lake was even more aggressive in the second round, and one got the impression that because of the cut, he wanted to try to knock out his man. The elusive and equally aggressive Wood, did not flinch, and he responded with two-fisted counter punching. Lake won this round.Woods used his jabs and hooks effectively in the next round, and his attacking approach kept him in the fight, but Lake never flinched and seemed to have the edge once more. The next two rounds saw the pace remaining at fever pitch as both boxers gave it their all. At the end, both men seemed certain of victory but the judges gave the edge to Lake.He was thrilled to win this time after losing early when he first appeared in the Contender competition.”I am going for the big prize this year. I want it badly, and this is just the start. I am really excited and pleased with this victory,” he added.In the two amateur bouts that preceded the main bout, Shimon Gayle from Boys’ Town defeated Collel Hogg from Sugar Knockout gym on points, while his teammate, Orlando Dixon, also won on points from Samuel Grant from Sugar Knockout gym.
GARDAÍ in Milford have issued a crime alert warning this afternoon in the Ballyare area.Members of the public are being asked to keep a look-out for a white van – possibly a transit – with an 04DL registration.It has been seen acting suspiciously in the area. Anyone with information is asked to call gardai immediately on 07491 53048. CRIME ALERT: GARDAÍ IN WARNING OVER SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY was last modified: October 21st, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ballyarecrime alertMilford
Crowded Market For App Development ToolsDecluttering the back end of app development is a mission on everybody’s mind. Built.io joins a crowded market, including services like Parse (just acquired by Facebook), Kinvey and Cocoafish. But here’s what makes Built.io different, for better or for worse: anybody can use it.(See also The Rise Of Mobile Cloud Services: BaaS Startups Grow Up.)Creating new apps requires a developer’s assistance. But “once the app is built and available, [employees] can log into the [content management system] and upload additional photos, press releases, anything they need to do to update the app without running to their developer or IT department,” Sampat says. The easy-to-use, what-you-see-is-what-you-get visual design is intended to make app upkeep less of a headache for developers. But developers have also historically been gatekeepers. When everyone and everyone at a company can make updates to the company app, what’s to keep the company app from becoming a huge, cluttered mess?Developers In ChargeTo avoid that, Built.io keeps developers in charge. A Built.io feature lets them assign roles and privileges to specific users. For a conference app, for example, the developer might give the organizer permission to update event names and times, but not to alter the structure of an app. Built.io has the potential to make developing a company app so fast and so easy (the beta is free) that everybody in the office may want to create apps for every purpose they can think of. The question yet to be answered is whether non-developers will use their newfound powers for good – or end up helping to churn out useless apps on a weekly basis, adding to the existing glut of unwanted and unused mobile apps.Photo and screenshot via Raw Engineering How to Write a Welcome Email to New Employees? 7 Types of Video that will Make a Massive Impac… Tags:#app development#Backend Development#mobile apps#startups lauren orsini Why You Love Online Quizzes As programming tools become increasingly accessible, it’s not the actual building of a mobile app that’s difficult. It’s the time it takes — and the risk nobody will ever use it. Studies estimates that 26% of mobile apps are used just once, and more than 60% never get downloaded at all.We are well into the age of the disposable mobile app. Now, according to Raw Engineering, the makers of Built.io, we have the fast, easy to use app-development technology to match. Temporary, Disposable AppsToday, many businesses create apps for a variety of occasions, including one-time events like conferences and product announcements. But for most businesses, building these apps is a process that can take several months. At Demo Mobile 2013, Raw Engineering CEO Neha Sampat showcased an app her team built in a week. “The life of an app used by enterprises is sometimes as short as a month,” said Sampat. “If it takes you three to four months to build an app you’re only going to use for a month leading up to an event or a conference or an announcement, there’s no [return on investment] there.” Leveraging Built.io, Sampat said, app development can be almost “plug and play.”“We provide the back end, the building blocks, the basics of the app ready to go – and they can spend their time working on user experience and the app itself.” Related Posts Growing Phone Scams: 5 Tips To Avoid
Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:48NBA: Kawhi, George seek more for Clippers than beating Lakers01:08Huge Toronto crowd celebrates Raptors’ historic win02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Jeff Van Gundy set for final game of USA qualifying rounds US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war Another video shows Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo taking warmup shots while Ja Rule is still performing.Ja Rule responded to critics on Twitter, saying his sound “didn’t come on when it was supposed to” but he “rocked.” When the Timberwolves’ official Twitter account mocked Ja Rule , he responded by cursing the team, saying, “You won’t win a championship for the next 30 years.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesJa Rule has been the subject of ridicule for his role in the failed Fyre Festival in the Bahamas. He recently told TMZ that he plans to create another music festival. LATEST STORIES View comments MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations FILE – In this Wednesday, July 29, 2015 file photo, Ja Rule speaks onstage during the “Follow the Rules” panel at the Viacom Networks 2015 Summer TCA Tour held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif. Singer and rapper Ja Rule is taking some heat on social media, after video posted online showed problems with his halftime show during the Timberwolves-Bucks game on Saturday, Feb. 23, 2019. Video shows Ja Rule had sound problems at the beginning of his show. (Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP, File)MILWAUKEE — Rapper Ja Rule is taking heat on social media after problems with his halftime show during Saturday’s Timberwolves-Bucks game.Videos posted online show Ja Rule had sound problems at the beginning of his performance. At one point he said, “Are we ready?” then said, “I guess not,” before his music eventually started.ADVERTISEMENT ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Urgent reply from Philippine football chief
Newcastle striker Andy Carroll set for Brighton chanceby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United striker Andy Carroll is set to be named on the bench against Brighton this weekend.It will be Carroll’s second debut for Newcastle after joining as a free agent in the summer.Carroll visited a specialist in London last week and was given the okay to speed up his recovery, according to the Daily Mail.The former Liverpool man has trained well over the past two days, giving Steve Bruce enough confidence to include him in the match-day squad to face the Seagulls. About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
FREDERICTON – Members of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce say proposed tax changes by the federal government are casting business people in a negative light and the finance minister shouldapologize.Chamber members got to put their concerns directly to federal Finance Minister Bill Morneau Saturday at their annual meeting in Fredericton.There was a round of applause when Morneau was asked if he’d consider an independent royal commission to take a broader look at tax reform, but Morneau said the government has been talking about tax reform since the summer of 2015, and expects the current input will lead to changes in what’s being proposed.The tax proposals include restrictions on the ability of business owners to reduce their tax rate by sprinkling their income to family members in lower tax brackets, even if those family members don’t contribute to the company.Morneau also proposed limits on the use of private corporations to make passive investments that are unrelated to the company.Another change would limit business owners’ ability to convert regular income of a corporation into capital gains, which are typically taxed at a lower rate.
He added that at this point it’s not known when the trail will be reopening, but that the City will be notifying residents via its Facebook page. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – City officials say that one of the walking trails located near the Fort St. John Hospital will be closed until further notice.Communications Coordinator Ryan Harvey said that work crews were attempting to resolve drainage issues near the walking trail along the south side of the hospital property when some of the equipment caused damage to the trail itself.Harvey said that the City is currently working with engineers to try to get the drainage issues in the area resolved while also determining what repairs need to be performed on the trail itself.
Pune: NCP chief Sharad Pawar Monday said he will not contest next month’s Lok Sabha election. The 78-year-old veteran politician said as two members of his family are going to contest the polls, “somebody had to step back.””Since I have already won elections 14 times, I decided not to contest the poll (this time),” the Rajya Sabha member told reporters after holding a meeting with party leaders. “Somebody from our family had to step back and I decided to give an opportunity to the young leadership. I thought this was the right time to take this decision,” he said. Pawar announced that his nephew and former deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar’s son Parth Pawar will be NCP’s candidate from Maval Lok Sabha constituency. “Jayant Patil (of Peasant and Workers Party of India), whose party has good presence in three of the six Assembly segments in Maval Lok Sabha constituency, urged me to give ticket to Parth as his party is ready to work for him. “We also have strong presence in the other three constituencies and we thought of giving an opportunity to the young leadership by giving ticket to Parth from Maval,” he said.