Lake wins exciting Contender clash

first_imgThings finally heated up in the Wray and Nephew Contender series on Wednesday night, as Guyana’s Revlon Lake secured a hard-fought majority decision over Anthony Woods, from the Bahamas, in their five-round, preliminary bout.It was all out action from the first minute, as both men threw caution to the wind and engaged each other in fast and furious action.After five bruising rounds, Jamaican judges Lindell Allen 49-46 and Peter Richards 48-47 voted for Lake, while American judge Eddie Cotton voted 48-47 for Woods. The large and enthusiastic crowd cheered wildly throughout the fight and most agreed with the decision.Two teams of eight boxers representing the Caribbean and the USA started the competition, on March 4, and the ultimate goal is to win the title Wray and Nephew Welterweight Contender 2016 and the first prize of $2-million.Lake went into the fight with eight wins 13 losses and two draws while Woods had nine, wins and 13 losses.Both men came in with aggression on their minds and it was action galore from the first bell, to the delight of the fans, who had been longing for such an approach since the start of the competition. Lake started throwing punches from all angles, some of which landed while others missed the mark. That did not deter him, however, as he kept in an attacking mode throughout.Woods decided to fight fire with fire, and it paid dividends as a hook to the head opened a small cut on the outside of Lake’s left eye. Blood flowed, but instead of being a hindrance, it spurred Lake into more furious action. Woods stayed cool, however, kept attacking, and won the round.Lake was even more aggressive in the second round, and one got the impression that because of the cut, he wanted to try to knock out his man. The elusive and equally aggressive Wood, did not flinch, and he responded with two-fisted counter punching. Lake won this round.Woods used his jabs and hooks effectively in the next round, and his attacking approach kept him in the fight, but Lake never flinched and seemed to have the edge once more. The next two rounds saw the pace remaining at fever pitch as both boxers gave it their all. At the end, both men seemed certain of victory but the judges gave the edge to Lake.He was thrilled to win this time after losing early when he first appeared in the Contender competition.”I am going for the big prize this year. I want it badly, and this is just the start. I am really excited and pleased with this victory,” he added.In the two amateur bouts that preceded the main bout, Shimon Gayle from Boys’ Town defeated Collel Hogg from Sugar Knockout gym on points, while his teammate, Orlando Dixon, also won on points from Samuel Grant from Sugar Knockout gym.last_img read more

Ex-Warrior says Steph Curry has more to prove next season than James Harden

first_img“Steph Curry,” said the … How you know that the NBA’s fantabulous, super frenzied free-agent sweepstakes has just about come to a halt:Damon Jones is talking unpurified nonsense.Jones? You might recall him from his peripatetic NBA career (which included 10 stops). These days he spends some of his days on ESPN’s “First Take.”It was there Friday morning that Jones was asked which NBA luminary — the Warriors’ Stephen Curry or Houston’s James Harden — has more to prove this season.last_img

Shelter-less Cyclone Fani survivors brave searing heat

first_imgRabindra Mallick and his family members in the Bhagbatpatna village in Puri district have been spending most of their time under the open sky for more than seven days. During the day, the temperature hovers around 40°C, but they have nowhere to go — trees have been uprooted and roofs blown away by Cyclone Fani.The majority of the families in the predominantly Dalit village have been left with no roof over their heads. The two-room primary school is able to accommodate barely 20% of the local population.As many as 12 towns of Odisha recorded maximum temperatures of above 40°C on Saturday; Puri’s temperature could not be gauged.‘Completely ravaged’“A day before the cyclone hit our district, we were herded to the Goruala Multipurpose Cyclone Shelter, 3 km away from our village. When we returned, we found our houses completely ravaged. Except a few, who had houses with concrete roofs, all the villagers have been rendered shelter-less,” said Mr. Mallick.Also Read  Meanwhile, due to the heavy demand for asbestos sheets, prices of the product have gone up, with unscrupulous traders trying to create artificial scarcity. With a month left for Southwest monsoon to hit Odisha, cyclone survivors are trying to cover their houses with asbestos sheets.The State government said that 9 lakh trees worth ₹270 crore have been lost inside forests and sanctuaries, and there has been a loss of 5 lakh trees worth ₹150 crore outside forests. Environmentalists, however, said the official estimate on loss of trees was actually a lot lower than the actual loss. Cyclone Fani: Initial estimate pegs crop damage at ₹150 crore  “Although the community kitchen began functioning three days after the cyclone hit this village, taking care of our food needs, polythene sheets have not been provided. Polythene sheets would have helped cover the roof. Now, we are spending much of our time outside and our household articles are also lying under the sun,” he said.A similar situation prevails in almost all the villages in Puri district, and parts of the Khurdha district.“In Puri, Khurdha and Bhubaneswar, as many as 2,69,711 beneficiaries have been provided either polythene, or cash in lieu of polythene. The coverage is 36%. The Special Relief Commissioner is making additional requisitions for polythene,” said Sanjay Singh, Odisha Secretary of Information and Public Relations, at a press conference on Saturday.Mr. Mallick said, “The role of polythene carries equal importance as that of food for us during disasters. As my home does not have a roof, I cannot go out for work. The situation would turn worse if kalbaisakhi [a period of thunderstorms in the region] rain takes place.”Also Read Package for farmers last_img read more

Gymnastics coach arrested in Edmonton for alleged sex crimes in Montreal

first_imgMONTREAL – An Alberta-based gymnastics coach is facing sexual assault charges in Montreal dating back to the 1980s and early ’90s, Quebec provincial police said Wednesday.Michel Arsenault was arrested in Edmonton by Quebec detectives and local authorities.A Quebec provincial police spokeswoman said an arrest warrant for Arsenault identifies six alleged female victims and that Arsenault faces seven charges, including four of assault and three of sexual assault.Sgt. Audrey-Anne Bilodeau said the women were all between 10 and 20 at the time of the alleged crimes.Arsenault, 56, is expected to appear in a Montreal courtroom May 24.Police say he is free on a promise to appear in court but must respect certain conditions.Bilodeau said all the alleged crimes detailed in the arrest warrant occurred in Montreal, and investigators have not ruled out other potential alleged victims elsewhere in the province.Last January, Quebec provincial police informed the public of the ongoing investigation without naming a suspect.Wednesday’s arrest comes after a report last December by the CBC’s French-language network, which brought some of the allegations to light from at least three women.Following the Radio-Canada broadcast, Gymnastics Canada announced it had suspended Arsenault, citing the serious allegations.Around the same time, Champions Gymnastics, the Edmonton gym founded by Arsenault in 2002, barred him from the facility and said he would no longer be associated with it.Arsenault has been living in Alberta since 1994.last_img read more