Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 52-year-old woman was killed in a chain-reaction car crash in her hometown of East Northport on Monday night.Suffolk County police said Karla Kovach was driving a Kia northbound on Larkfield Road when her vehicle struck a Nissan that was slowing in traffic near the corner of 5th Avenue at 9:50 p.m.The Nissan hit the side of Mario’s Pizza and the Kia spun into the rear of a Mercedes, which then rear-ended a Cadillac, police said.Kovach was taken to Huntington Hospital, where she was pronounced dead. The driver of the Nissan was taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore for treatment of serious injuries. The driver of the Mercedes and her two child passengers were transported to Huntington Hospital with minor injuries. The driver of the Cadillac and his passenger were not injured.Second Squad detectives impounded the Kia, are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information on this crash to call them at 631-854-8252.
Diana D. Howrey, 85, of Milan, Indiana, formerly of Aurora, Indiana, passed away Monday March 25, 2019.She was born April 26, 1933 in Stanley, KY, daughter of the late William A. Sapp and Mary (Miller) Sapp.Diana attended St. Charles Catholic Church in Milan, Indiana. Her faith was very important to her, and she loves the Cross of Jesus. She was formerly a member of the Sunman American Legion Auxiliary.Diana made many quilts, even creating her own patterns. She made beautiful doilies and loved to crochet.Diana is survived by her children, Joyce Conforti of Franklin Lakes, NJ, James Howrey of Aurora, IN, William Howrey of Plainsfield, IN, Janet Hinds of Tulsa, OK.; friend, Jo Ann Amberger of Sunman, Indiana.She was preceded in death by her parents; husband, Verle E. Howrey, and a sister, Clara Jean Bush.Interment will be in the River View Cemetery, Aurora, Indiana at a later date.Contributions may be made to the Disabled American Veterans. Please call the funeral home office at (812) 926-1450 and we will notify the family of your donation with a card.Visit: www.rullmans.com
RelatedPosts Club’s server collapses over ticket demand for first Bundesliga game in 11 years Italy introduces compulsory virus testing for travellers from France Nigeria records new COVID-19 infections, more deaths as figures rise to 57,242 A decision on the return date of the Bundesliga has been delayed until next week, meaning the very earliest German football could return to action will be May 16.The Bundesliga has been suspended since mid-March and a decision on a return date was expected to be taken this week, but that has now been delayed, according to multiple reports, dashing hopes that the game could return in Germany on May 9. “If we should start on May 9, we are ready. If it is later we will be ready again,” Seifert told a news conference last week.Seifert was speaking after a meeting with all first and second division clubs to finalise the health and safety measures needed so that games without spectators can be played again.A maximum number of 213 officials will be allowed inside the stadium, in the stands and pitch-side during the games, while another 109, including security staff, will be posted outside the stadium to ensure that fans do not gather outside the grounds.Players will be monitored by an appointed team health and safety official and will undergo regular testing.An infection to a player will be reported to authorities who will be in charge of any other steps. The team, however, will not be automatically quarantined.However, government talks on Thursday should provide further clarity on the readiness of the required infrastructure for football to return.Tags: BundesligaCoronavirusGermany
Ulster have made 10 changes to their starting side for the trip to Italy to face Zebre in a 3pm kick-off.And Munster head coach Anthony Foley will be hoping to a large crowd at Thomond Park as they play host to an Ospreys side that have made a strong start to the Pro12 campaign and will be targeting a return to the top of the table.Kick-off in Limerick is at half-past six.
PITTSBURGH >> Justin Turner is tired of playing the game. Not baseball, but the game within the game that’s consumed the Dodgers since the All-Star break.Turner’s left elbow was struck by a 97-mph fastball from Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Justin Wilson in the seventh inning Tuesday. Two Pirates batters were also hit by pitches in the Dodgers’ 12-7 loss.This, after four different players were hit by pitches over the weekend in St. Louis. Hanley Ramirez and Yasiel Puig still haven’t played since being drilled and left with swollen left hands.“You don’t want to do any of that stuff, mess around,” Turner said. “Someone can get hurt. You lose a guy, that’s never fun. At the same time, it’s been part of the game. We try to protect our guys. You do what you’ve got to do. If something happens, something happens.” Wilson threw two inside pitches to Turner to start the seventh inning, the second one hitting Turner’s elbow guard. In his postgame comments to reporters, Pirates manager Clint Hurdle suggested that Wilson was merely trying to pitch hard inside.Home plate umpire Toby Basner didn’t buy it. He ejected Wilson, warned both benches, then ejected Hurdle for arguing.“I think we all understand what happened there,” Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. “It was not a big deal. The only guy who didn’t handle it was the home plate umpire. He could’ve let that go and given warnings and it would’ve been over.”Turner took a step toward the mound before taking his base. He was upset with Wilson.“After he missed me the first time I was like, ‘Oh, they’re probably trying to throw at me.’ I was a little upset about the second one because he had his chance to do it and get it over with on the first pitch and he missed. To do it again just makes it pretty blatant. I don’t think there’s anything he can say to make it sound like it wasn’t intentional.”Did Turner consider Wilson’s actions a breach of etiquette?“I don’t know,” he said. “We had some talk in here. It’s like, clearly, I don’t think Jamey was trying to load the bases when it got away from him. We talked about it here: Where do you draw the line? Anytime someone in the middle of the order gets hit, are you going to go hit someone?”That question lingered into the night and maybe beyond. For a day at least, it overshadowed a dismal game for Dodger pitchers.Josh Beckett returned from the disabled list and allowed four runs in 3 2/3 innings, including three solo home runs. Paul Maholm (1-5) and Wright allowed two runs each out of the bullpen.Then there was Chris Perez, who walked four of the five batters he faced in the eighth inning. The right-hander was charged with four runs despite not allowing a hit. Mattingly called it “a step backward” for Perez, who had allowed one earned run in his previous eight appearances.Adrian Gonzalez and Scott Van Slyke hit home runs for the Dodgers. Van Slyke’s home run was the first by a Dodgers pinch-hitter this season. Gonzalez’s was the first by any Dodger player since July 9.Gonzalez and Matt Kemp had two hits apiece.Dan Haren is scheduled to oppose Francisco Liriano in the rubber match today. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Something happened in the bottom of the sixth inning. With runners on first and second base and the Pirates leading 7-4, Dodgers pitcher Jamey Wright hit Andrew McCutchen with a 90-mph sinker, loading the bases.McCutchen took his base, then watched Wright throw a wild pitch that allowed Pittsburgh to score its fourth run of the inning.The circumstances suggest that Wright was beset by wildness and not revenge. A.J. Ellis was the only Dodger batter hit to that point in the series, and that was on a curveball that clearly got away from Edinson Volquez on Monday. Wright has been prone to wildness throughout his career. The 39-year-old is tied with legendary brush-back artist Don Drysdale for 19th all-time in batters hit with 154 — the most among active pitchers.“Some of their guys said, ‘You just did it in St. Louis,’” Turner said, referring to Clayton Kershaw intentionally throwing at Matt Holliday. “The difference there is, there’s a little bit of a history with them hitting Hanley. It’s just, I guess, a question of where you draw the line. When is it OK, when is it not OK? Yeah, we hit him (McCutchen) but it’s not like we were trying to load the bases up, per se.”
“They all cheated the sport,” said Edelman of the three defendants, “in order to line their own pockets with money that should have been spent to benefit the sport.”“The evidence will show that for over 20 years, the defendants co-conspired and abused the system,” he said.“They agreed to receive secret bribes, taking away money that could have been spent to promote the sport.”In their own opening statements, lawyers for the three defendants admitted there was widespread corruption at FIFA but argued that their clients were not involved.The trial is due to last five to six weeks, and prosecutors are expected to present 350,000 pages of evidence and dozens of witnesses.If convicted, they will be sentenced by Judge Pamela Chen. The most serious counts each carry a maximum sentence of 20 years.Tens of millions of dollars were hidden in offshore accounts in Hong Kong, the Cayman Islands and Switzerland, US officials said.Around two dozen defendants have already pleaded guilty, and two of them were last month sentenced to jail — Guatemalan ex-soccer official Hector Trujillo to eight months and British-Greek accountant Costas Takkas to 15 months.The others who await sentencing include Jeffrey Webb, of the Cayman Islands, who admitted to receiving more than $6 million in bribes and whose millionaire lifestyle while under house arrest — quaffing champagne, gambling and partying — has infuriated FIFA’s lawyers.While the US investigation did not indict ex-FIFA president Sepp Blatter, he was thrown out of the sport in 2015 after FIFA’s ethics committee found him guilty of making an improper two million Swiss franc ($2.1 million) payment to then-UEFA chief Michel Platini.Blatter was banned from soccer for six years, and Platini, his former heir apparent, for four years.Share on: WhatsApp New York, United States | AFP | Three South American former soccer officials were blinded by greed and accepted millions of dollars in bribes, US prosecutors told the FIFA corruption trial Monday as defense lawyers insisted their wealthy clients were innocent.Forty-two officials and marketing executives, and three companies were indicted in an exhaustive 236-page complaint detailing 92 separate crimes and 15 corruption schemes to the tune of $200 million.It was the largest graft scandal in the history of world soccer, first unveiled by US government prosecutors in May 2015 and lifting the lid on a quarter of a century of endemic corruption in the heart of FIFA, soccer’s governing body.Yet only three of them are going on trial — a trio of once-powerful soccer officials from South America, charged with racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies.Their fate will be decided by an anonymous jury, chosen after documented attempts at intimidation. The 12-member panel with six alternates was selected after four days of screening last week.“Lurking underneath the surface are lies, greed and corruption,” US assistant attorney Keith Edelman told jurors in opening remarks Monday, recounting a meeting of soccer officials from all over the world at a Miami hotel in May 2014.“Some of these officials had other reasons to celebrate, they had agreed to receive millions of dollars in bribes regarding the (Copa America) tournament,” he told the federal court in Brooklyn, New York.The most high-profile defendant is Jose Maria Marin, 85, former president of Brazil’s Football Confederation — the sport’s organizing body in one of the premier soccer-playing nations in the world.Since extradition after his 2015 arrest by Swiss police in a five-star hotel, he has been out on bail, living in luxury at Trump Tower, the Fifth Avenue skyscraper best known for housing the penthouse and company headquarters of the US president.Also in the dock is former FIFA vice president Juan Angel Napout, 59, and Manuel Burga, who led soccer in Peru until 2014 and once served as a FIFA development committee member.All three have pleaded not guilty.– ‘Cheated the sport’ –