Folayang, Khan dispute vacant ONE lightweight title in Manila

first_imgEduard Folayang. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netA new ONE lightweight champion will be crowned not long after the title was vacated by Martin Nguyen several days ago.ONE chairman and CEO Chatri Sityodtong on Monday announced that Filipino MMA star Eduard Folayang and Singaporean knockout artist Amir Khan will dispute the belt at ONE: Conquest of Champions on November 23 at Mall of Asia Arena.ADVERTISEMENT Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:18Alvarez ready to take risk vs Folayang, looks to end clash by ‘knockout or submission’03:47PH’s Charly Suarez boxing lightweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum LATEST STORIES Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew The 23-year-old Khan, who has won eight of his last fights, eyes history for Singapore as he hopes to become the country’s first homegrown world champion in his first title fight.“Amir wants to become Singapore’s first homegrown World Champion in history, and stamp his legacy as the greatest Singaporean martial artist the world has ever seen.” said Sityodtong said of Khan, who beat Filipino Honorio Banario via submission earlier this month.Sityodtong also said whoever wins between Folayang and Khan will defend the lightweight strap against the victor of the Shinya Aoki and Ev Ting showdown at ONE: Kingdom of Heroes on Saturday in Bangkok, Thailand.“Barring any injuries or unforeseen circumstances, I fully expect the winner between Ev and Shinya to face the winner between Eduard and Amir in Tokyo.” Sityodtong said.  “Without a doubt, it is super exciting times for this incredibly stacked division. Hold your breath though. I am going to announce more explosive news soon. Stay tuned.”ADVERTISEMENT Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal PSC to ‘fast-track’ rehab of athletes’ dorms after death of wushu junior Daraliay MOST READ “I am excited to announce that Eduard ‘Landslide’ Folayang and Amir Khan will face each other for the ONE Lightweight World Championship on November 23 in Manila,” Sityodtong wrote on his Facebook account. “The stakes could not be any higher for both warriors in what will be the biggest fight of their careers.”The 33-year-old Folayang earned his shot to reclaim the crown he yielded when got knocked out cold in the second round by Nguyen in November last year after scoring a pair of impressive decision wins over previously undefeated Russian fighters Aziz Pahrudinov and Kharun Atlangeriev.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back Chriss“Eduard wants to reclaim his title and go down as the greatest Filipino martial artist in history.” Sityodtong said.But Folayang’s road back to the top will have to go through a dangerous foe in Khan. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

25 years later, magic hasn’t faded

first_imgEDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE – Twenty-five years ago, a quarter-million people trekked to a desolate desert lakebed to watch a historic first. Space shuttle Columbia on April 14, 1981, became the first spacecraft to fly out of orbit and land on Earth, to the cheers and waving American flags of a vast crowd watching from the edge of Rogers Dry Lake. “You were looking around in the sky trying to figure out where it was. … All of a sudden it was, ‘There it is!’ and people pointed up into the sky and then the double booms. … It was just gorgeous. It looked like it was coming right at you. I still get chills,” said Jenny Baer-Riedhart, then a NASA engineer. At the 25th anniversary of that first flight, after two deadly accidents, the three surviving Palmdale-built shuttles are nearing retirement and it’s plain they never lived up to the original promise of being reliable, cheaply-operated “space trucks.” But that first flight captured Americans’ imagination like few other events. The crowd variously estimated at 200,000 to 300,000 had started moving toward Edwards as soon as Columbia rocketed from Kennedy Space Center on its maiden flight on April 12, 1981, 25 years ago today. “The minute they heard it had launched and would land there were people driving overnight to get here,” said retired NASA engineer Roger Barnicki, who for the first landing was in charge of swarms of VIPs, including congressmen and then California Gov. Jerry Brown. The first non-VIP arrivals were already waiting in line outside Edwards’ gates the day before the landing. The Air Force opened the gates at midnight to let them onto the primitive public viewing area created for them on the eastern lakebed shore, surrounded by miles of desert. People arrived in motorhomes and truck campers, which were parked in orderly double rows on the lakebed’s smooth, hard clay. Families with children came in cars with no food or water. Their better-equipped neighbors helped them out. “They started building bonfires. We had bonfires on the hill. We had bonfires along the east shore,” recalled Joe D’Agostino, who still works at NASA Dryden Flight Research Center. As Columbia fired its retrorockets at midmorning to pull itself out of orbit and re-enter the atmosphere, traffic was halted on the base. Spectators crowded at the ropes that marked off the viewing area, even though you could see the shuttle from any place on the lakebed. Almost the size of a 727 jetliner, Columbia appeared in the sky as a tiny white dot. It turned high overhead to line up with the five-mile-long runway marked out on the lakebed, which the Air Force had used for decades as a giant landing field. The distinctive double sonic boom drew a collective gasp from the crowd. Once the craft flicked out its landing gear and touched down, somebody working for NASA flipped on a recording of “The Star-Spangled Banner” through the loudspeakers. People cheered and hugged. One spectator decided he needed a better view so he climbed up on his car to look through the telescopic sight of a rifle, recalled Air Force engineer Johnny Armstrong. “He ended up in the hoosegow in Bakersfield,” Armstrong said. Somebody else decided to drive across the lakebed toward the parked Columbia. A string of vehicles followed, until government helicopters herded them back. People generally don’t recognize the risks faced by Columbia’s pilots John Young and Robert Crippen in going into space and back in the first flight of a craft that was attempting something never done before, said astronaut Gordon Fullerton, who flew preliminary landing tests and who later went into space on Challenger and Columbia. “No crew on any endeavor I know about has faced a greater risk or a greater unknown,” said Fullerton. Now Burt Rutan and British airline mogul Sir Richard Branson, in a totally nongovernment venture, are building rocket planes in Mojave to fly paying passengers into space, though not into orbit. chuck.bostwick@dailynews.com (661) 267-5742 AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl event160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Christian Pulisic has succeeded in spite of American soccer, not because of it

first_imgShare on Twitter Arsène Wenger accepts Sánchez will leave Arsenal either now or in summer Read more Share on WhatsApp Sportblog Share on Facebook Share via Email features Share on Pinterest USA Borussia Dortmund US sportscenter_img Topics Reuse this content Christian Pulisic is already at one of the biggest soccer clubs in Europe. Borussia Dortmund are perennial Bundesliga challengers, consistent performers at Champions League level and average crowds of just under 80,000 fans per game, but still, this is only viewed as a rung on the young American’s ladder to the top. That says a lot about what is expected of Pulisic. He is a superstar in-waiting. Premier League Football Share on LinkedIn Manchester United Indeed, the 19-year-old’s upward trajectory is predicted to swing even higher than Dortmund, with Europe’s elite perpetually reported to be interested in the attacker. Transfer speculation has become part of Pulisic’s day-to-day life over the past two seasons, with Manchester United the latest to be linked with a move for the teenager this week. The Old Trafford side, it’s reported, are ready to go up against long-time suitors Liverpool for Pulisic as Jose Mourinho looks to add something different to his attack.Any big money move to the Premier League for Pulisic would send a familiar narrative into overdrive. You’d read countless takes about the ‘American Messi’, about the biggest untapped soccer nation in the world finally producing its first genuine great. If Pulisic thought the pressure, which this week he admitted can get “too much”, weighed heavy at Dortmund, just wait until he ends up at a Man United or a Liverpool.Of course, this narrative is grounded in an element of truth. Pulisic might already be the best American soccer player in history, becoming the face of the US men’s national team as a teenager. But his rise, which would reach meteoric proportions with a move to the Premier League, has coincided with an extremely volatile time in the American game. There is a compelling contrast to be made.The temptation is to credit Pulisic’s success, at least in part, to US Soccer. But at a time when the sport in the country is tearing itself apart following the failure to qualify for the 2018 World Cup, with a presidential election being contested, this presents something of a paradox. The rise of America’s best player to date coinciding with US Soccer’s existential crisis doesn’t quite fit.That’s because Pulisic has succeeded in spite of the American game, not because of it. It’s true that Pulisic was given his elementary grounding in the game stateside, only leaving Hershey, Pennsylvania for Germany at the age of 16. He was part of the USSF’s US Soccer Development Academy, representing the States at under-15 and under-17 level. But Pulisic reached fruition and maturity elsewhere. As he wrote himself in a Players’ Tribune article, “it’s the age where a player’s growth and skill sort of intersect, in just the right way – and where, with the right direction, a player can make their biggest leap in development by far.”How many times have you read or heard someone ponder a scenario in which the USA’s best athletes played soccer over basketball or football? It’s a thought uttered so frequently, it has become the subject of derision. Ignoring the lack of nuance in such a point, though, and the central argument comes down to a perceived lack of talent in the American game. A lack of talent for US Soccer to mold. Pulisic’s success suggests this is a moot point.It’s not so much that the American game failed Pulisic, it’s that it cannot take credit for his success in a way that would conveniently counter the less than positive discussion being had by many right now. US Soccer as a governing body finds itself at a critical juncture and youth development must be a primary focus of whoever wins its presidential election. In fact, it should form the basis of every candidate’s manifesto.Rather than championing Pulisic as the embodiment of American soccer potential, lessons must be learned from the teenager’s specific case. For starters, a more effective path from youth to senior soccer must be established Stateside. Pulisic was likely lured to Germany by all the prestige and romance that comes with playing for a team like Borussia Dortmund, but he also probably saw a clear career route. Going back to that Players’ Tribune article by Pulisic, he summarized his feelings on this fundamental flaw in the structure of American soccer. “I’ve gotta say…” he wrote, “it really does frustrate me, when I watch MLS, and I see our best U-17 players – who, again, are so talented and so capable – being rostered … but then not being put on the field much to actually play. I watch that, and I just think about how I was given a chance … a real chance … and it changed my life. Why then are we seemingly hesitant to allow these other talents to blossom?”Perhaps US Soccer shouldn’t beat itself up too much. This is a common theme across all sports, not just soccer. Look at Lionel Messi, the greatest player in history, who left his homeland of Argentina for Spain as a 13-year-old. Or Andy Murray, Britain’s first Grand Slam champion in 76 years, who made the move to Barcelona to train at a similarly young age. The best young talent will always look to the best programs, and for Pulisic that could be found in Germany.The point isn’t necessarily that US Soccer should have a better youth infrastructure than Germany, a country that sets the standard for the sport as a whole, but that the example of Pulisic shows just how much more could be achieved. It’s a sporting tragedy that Pulisic won’t get a chance to play at next summer’s World Cup. The teenager is one of the brightest young talents in the game right now and deserved a platform to show that to the world. But he will get other opportunities, particularly if Man United or Liverpool come calling. Opportunities will be scarcer for others, though, and US Soccer must be in a better place to help those players take them. Share on Messenger Liverpoollast_img read more