Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A Plainview woman has admitted to killing her disabled 8-year-old daughter on the day the victim was supposed to be the flower girl at her uncle’s wedding four years ago.Veronica Cirella pleaded guilty Thursday at Nassau County court to first-degree manslaughter.“Julie Cirella’s young life was cut tragically short by the one person who should have protected her, her mother,” Acting Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas said.The uncle found the girl, who suffered from cerebral palsy, and her 34-year-old mother unconscious in their home on July 23, 2011. Veronica had a wire tied around her neck, a suicide note nearby and her daughter was not breathing. The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.Cirella’s attorney argued that the the death wasn’t intentional, saying that mother fed her M&Ms with peanuts as a treat the night before the wedding, but when she realized that they contained peanuts that the girl was allergic to, she gave the victim liquid Benadryl to counter the affects. The mother awoke the next morning to find her daughter dead.Judge Philip Grella is expected to sentence Cirella to 12 years in prison on June 30.
Ivan Rakitic stated that Edin Dzeko is “one of the best strikers in the world” and that Barcelona must beware of the “reinforced” Roma.Roma and Barcelona are meeting at the stadium “Olimpico” today, in the first round of the Champions League.“Roma is a famous club and they have really stepped up. This is the first match in the group stage and it is very important”, said the Croatian national team player for Barça TV.“We will play at a full stadium and they will have a great support of the fans. They have an organized team and, like every Italian club, they know what to do in every moment of the game. They have reinforced the attack with Dzeko, who is one of the best strikers in the world”, Rakitic added.(Source: klix.ba)
The fallen NRL star presented himself to Mackay police and was charged with two counts of public nuisance over an incident at the Townsville casino in January.The former Dally M Medallist will appear in Townsville Magistrates Court on March 22.Barba reportedly will not face domestic violence-related charges because his partner Ainslie Currie has not made a complaint.Barba was sacked by NRL club North Queensland without playing a game for the club last month over allegations he was violent towards Currie in the incident.The NRL gave Barba a lifetime ban after viewing CCTV footage of the incident.But Barba’s lawyer Campbell MacCallum claimed on Tuesday he would now attempt to have the ban overturned.”He’s expressed his desire to play football this year,” MacCallum told reporters.”He wants to explore his options in relation to challenging the NRL ban and hopefully play rugby league in some sort of capacity.”I don’t think he’d play NRL but certainly local football, and that’s going to help his focus.”He’s feeling the pressure of the media on him – he’s also feeling the pressure of not being able to play the game that he loves.”It’s certainly pretty distressing for himself and a trying time for his family.”Barba was charged a day after telling a television news crew he had “lost everything” and threatened to “hurt” the reporter.North Queensland coach Paul Green said Cowboys welfare officers would keep in touch with Barba.”Our welfare guys continue to stay in contact with Ben. The club will continue to support him however we can,” he said.Green was not as expansive when told Barba intended to fight the NRL ban.Asked if Barba should be allowed to play again, Green said: “It’s probably not for me to comment.”Besides the two charges, Barba was on Tuesday also banned by Queensland police from entering Townsville’s entertainment precinct for three months.After winning a premiership with Cronulla in 2016, the star fullback copped a 12 game NRL ban for testing positive to cocaine for a second time.He left for stints in French rugby union and the English Super League before being offered a lifeline by the Cowboys, only to be sacked on February 1 over the casino incident.
The Coast Guard offloaded $6 million worth of cocaine in the Dominican Republic, Tuesday.The cocaine was seized when a Customs and Border Protection plane spotted a suspicious boat on Dec. 14.Three smugglers were also detained.Copyright 2019 Sunbeam Television Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.