About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Huddersfield boss Wagner: We score thousands of training goalsby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveHuddersfield Town boss David Wagner has called on his players to start converting their chances as they look to escape relegation this season.The Terriers have scored just four goals in their last six matches ahead of their bottom of the table clash with Fulham on Saturday.Wagner said: “In training it’s not about a lack of effort or attitude. In training they hit the back of the net thousands of times.”But in games it hasn’t clicked so far. This is the truth, but I think it is all about seeing the chance and taking the opportunity that is in front of you.”Recent results have affected our performances. In other games performances were on a very good level.”We defended well and created unbelievable opportunities but we didn’t score and this is the truth.”This is where we have to improve – we have to take steps to convert our chances, our performances and our ball possession.”
Newcastle boss Benitez: Chelsea quality was differenceby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United boss Rafa Benitez says Chelsea’s quality made the difference for Saturday’s defeat.Chelsea won 2-1 with Willian proving the matchwinner.Benitez said afterwards, “When you’re playing against a very good team, sometimes these things can happen. We made a mistake but to be fair, Willian was great and we had to make double effort. To be fair we cannot complain about what the players were doing on the pitch.”We made a couple of big mistakes with the first goal and the first goal after we scored but overall we were fine in a lot of parts of the game. Always I talk about the final third decisions. Willian or Hazard or Pedro can make the difference and they have.”It’s even more important now. We know that we have difficult games and we play against two or three of the top sides in a row. We have to get the points we want.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Newcastle striker Andy Carroll set for Brighton chanceby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United striker Andy Carroll is set to be named on the bench against Brighton this weekend.It will be Carroll’s second debut for Newcastle after joining as a free agent in the summer.Carroll visited a specialist in London last week and was given the okay to speed up his recovery, according to the Daily Mail.The former Liverpool man has trained well over the past two days, giving Steve Bruce enough confidence to include him in the match-day squad to face the Seagulls. About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Parker delighted as Fulham thrash Readingby Paul Vegas23 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveScott Parker was delighted with Fulham’s ferocious start in the 4-1 win over Reading on Tuesday.Parker’s Cottagers blasted three goals inside the opening half hour, with the hosts down to ten-men thanks to John Swift’s red-card.The win pushes Fulham up to fourth on the Championship table after 10 games.Speaking after the match, Parker said: “I was delighted with the performance.”I’ve been delighted with the performances over the past four or five weeks but the results have been missing a little bit.”That’s what most people usually look at and I understand that. But tonight, I thought that we were first class from start to finish.”In the first 30 minutes, we were devastating – even though they had a man sent off.”But, prior to that, I felt that we had really stamped our authority on the game and showed our quality.”We’re going to be a team very hard to deal with in the first 20 or 30 minutes. Even when Reading had 11 men, it was still difficult for them.”We moved the ball very quickly and with an intensity. And we were really clinical in the final third.”Over the past few weeks, we’ve worked a lot on getting that cutting edge about us.”
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Liverpool striker Firmino dismisses Keane hugging blastby Paul Vegas3 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool striker Roberto Firmino has dismissed Roy Keane’s blast after seeing Liverpool and Manchester United players for ‘hugging and kissing’ in the tunnel before Sunday’s game at Old Trafford.Firmino and his team-mate Fabinho were seen embracing United’s Fred and Andreas Pereira in the tunnel, with all four players having played for Brazil.Firmino told ESPN Brazil: “I don’t want to create controversy with anyone.”I find it quite normal before the game to greet each other, ask how they are doing. That’s all. Nothing more than that.”But on the pitch, they aren’t friends, each one defends his club to the best of his ability. Then the rivalry increases on the pitch.”
ANN ARBOR, MI – NOVEMBER 28: Terry Richardson #13 of the Michigan Wolverines tackles Braxton Miller #1 of the Ohio State Buckeyes during the second quarter at Michigan Stadium on November 28, 2015 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)Braxton Miller is a bona fide Ohio State great after his tenure as All-Big Ten quarterback and later a dynamic wide receiver.His status with the program wasn’t in question, but now he is officially in the ranks of the “greats” at Ohio Stadium, where his poster has been added.Miller and defensive end Joey Bosa are the two latest Buckeyes to receive the honor.Bosa and Braxton have been added into the Hall of Greats at Ohio Stadium. pic.twitter.com/7N9gVoNy3a— Not James Vogel (@Not_James_Vogel) August 31, 2016Miller is incredibly grateful to have his posted hanging at “The Horseshoe.”Miller proved to be a threat at every level of offense during his time at Ohio State. As quarterback from 2011-2013, he threw for 5,295 yards, 52 touchdowns, and 17 interceptions. He rushed for 3,315 yards and 33 touchdowns, including 1,000 yard seasons on the ground in 2012 and 2013. As a receiver in 2015, Miller caught 25 passes for 340 yards and three touchdowns.While his numbers at receiver won’t blow anyone away, it was his first year playing the position, and the team dealt with issues at quarterback, as J.T. Barrett did not win the job back from the up-and-down Cardale Jones until midway through the year. Even so, Miller showed enough to be a third round pick by the Houston Texans, where he now plays alongside superstar DeAndre Hopkins and promising receivers like Jaelen Strong and Will Fuller.
Ederson has admitted that it was win or bust for Manchester City against Liverpool at the Etihad Stadium last week when Pep Guardiola’s men rose to the occasion.City secured a hard-fought 2-1 home victory against the Reds which closed the gap at the top of the Premier League table to just four points, with 17 matches remaining.Defeat would have seen the 2018 winners fall 10 points behind their rivals but the title race has now been blown wide open, with Tottenham also in the hunt, sitting two points further back in third. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Goalkeeper Ederson has confessed that the team were under pressure to produce the goods against Liverpool in front of their own fans and he hopes that now they can maintain that high level of performance until May.”For us, it was a matter of life or death,” Ederson told Sky Sports. “We knew the circumstances around the game – drawing or losing was not an option. We only contemplated winning, and we did a great game.”It was our best game in the Premier League so far, and hopefully we will continue at the same level as of now.”City have won their last four games in all competitions to bounce back from a disappointing December, with a home clash against Wolves up next on Monday.Ederson will retain his place between the sticks after a strong first half of the season, despite coming under the microscope at times for his unorthodox style in possession.The Brazil international often shows off flashes of skill and takes risks in dangerous positions, with one ‘no-look’ pass against Southampton recently the subject of intense scrutiny.He went on to reveal that his team-mates were not impressed by his antics that day, but he stands by his methods.”It was a play during the game,” Ederson continued. “The forward was pressing high and it was over very quickly. It was my only resource at that time and I executed it well”I got into the dressing room and my team-mates are telling me ‘why did you dare to do that when we were 1-0 up?”I told them that you need to have that personality and that calm as well and luckily it worked out very well.” Check out Goal’s Premier League 2019-20 fantasy football podcast for game tips, debate and rivalries.
Major League Soccer has announced Austin FC as its 27th team, with the club set to begin play in 2021.The expansion team was confirmed at an event in Austin on Tuesday, with former Columbus Crew owner Anthony Precourt set to take charge of the Texas-based franchise. Precourt originally tried to move the Crew to Austin but after months of fan protests, he sold the team to new ownership who will keep the club in Ohio. Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Instead, Precourt will be at the helm of the league’s 27th team, as expansion continues apace in the North American top division. FC Cincinnati will join the league in 2019 as its 24th franchise, followed by teams in Nashville and Miami that are expected to enter in 2020. Austin FC will be the first major professional sports franchise in the Texas capital. “We are extremely proud to be the first major professional sports league to become part of the fabric of this important and thriving American city,” MLS commissioner Don Garber said in a league release. “In their support of a world-class soccer stadium that benefits the entire community, the leadership of the city of Austin has shown tremendous faith in our league and the sport of soccer in North America.”Groundbreaking for a new stadium in Austin will take place later this year and the venue is set to open with Austin FC’s first home game in the spring of 2021.“This is a historic day for Austin, as MLS becomes the first major league to plant roots in our beautiful city,” Steve Adler, the mayor of Austin said“We believe professional soccer will bring a great and especially needed benefit to our city. In two years, this team and an elite soccer stadium will bring together all kinds of people from all over Austin in a way that we do not gather today.”Precourt was also pleased with the outcome and promised to build a contender in central Texas. “This is a very proud moment, and we are so happy to share it with the people of Austin, City leadership, the dedicated soccer fans of the region, and everyone who believed in our mission to bring Major League Soccer to this incredible community,” said Precourt.“The greatest way we can show our gratitude is in our actions as leaders of Austin FC. Our intent is to build a team that will be a perennial contender for MLS Cup, to build a stadium at McKalla Place that rivals the best sporting venues in North America, and to cultivate a club culture that brings people together and always give back.”
Luciano Spalletti insists he retains the full support of his Inter squad despite the Nerazzurri slipping to a shock 1-0 defeat to Bologna in Serie A.For the third successive league match Inter failed to score, let alone win, as Federico Santander gave Sinisa Mihajlovic victory on his return to Bologna.The pressure is growing on Spalletti and he was jeered by sections of the San Siro crowd during Sunday’s game, though he is adamant he can rectify the situation. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? “The team is with me and as far as I’m concerned, I don’t have any issues there,” he said.”We created problems for ourselves today. Even when we should’ve been comfortable or were in a position to score. “You then lose confidence in your own ability and if the level of insecurity grows, you start to make mistakes, while the opposition can score.”It takes a strong character to react, and we must improve on this.FT #InterBologna 0-1The Rossoblu secure a narrow win at the Meazza. pic.twitter.com/Bj6wRTx3rb— Inter (@Inter_en) February 3, 2019″Every time we fall beneath the standards that we’ve set, we even make the most basic of errors. “The football wasn’t fluid but we still had three clear chances to take the lead. At times, one chance would’ve been enough but we didn’t manage to score and then you start trying to force it too much.”And when asked about the reaction from some of the home support, Spalletti was not too concerned, insisting the paying public were perfectly within their rights to express their opinions.”Whistles don’t change anything in my attitude,” he added. “The fans deserve better, because this is Inter.”Serious responses are needed with what we do on the pitch and how we think.”
Liverpool are hoping to complete the signing of teenage defender Sepp van den Berg from PEC Zwolle, but will face competition from a host of top European clubs for the Netherlands youth international.The Reds are keen to bring the 17-year-old centre-back to Anfield this summer, but Bayern Munich, Ajax and PSV Eindhoven are all keen on the Dutch under-19 star, while Sampdoria are understood to have bid €2.5m (£2.25m) for him in January.After a 2017-18 in which he made his first-team debut with seven matches in the Eredvisie, Van den Berg enjoyed a breakthrough year at Zwolle last season, playing 16 Eredivisie games under former Manchester United defender Jaap Stam, helping them to a 13th-place finish in the Dutch top flight. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? The defender would go into Liverpool’s Academy setup initially, playing for the under-18 and under-23 sides, with a view to progression to Melwood should he impress at that level.Liverpool enjoyed success after recruiting another young Dutch defender, Ki-Jana Hoever, from Ajax last summer. Hoever shone at youth level and made a surprise senior debut in the FA Cup at Wolves in January. Reds chiefs hope the 6ft 3in van den Berg can follow in those footsteps.Van den Berg’s signing, although not yet confirmed, would be seen as a real coup for the Reds’ recruitment team, given the level of competition. Dave Fallows, the head of recruitment, and chief scout Barry Hunter have in been particularly keen to pursue the deal, and believe significant progress has been made in the past few days.Hunter was instrumental in the signing of Joe Gomez from Charlton in 2015. Then, Liverpool recruited a young, promising defender with a view to developing him as a first-team player for the long-term. Gomez’s impact on Merseyside was almost immediate, though injuries hampered his progress thereafter.Liverpool’s recruitment team are confident that van den Berg, who is about to enter the final year of his contract with Zwolle, is at a similar level to Gomez four years ago, and expect him to, like Hoever, push for a place in Jurgen Klopp’s first-team squad before too long. Like Hoever, he already speaks excellent English and the scouting reports and character references from the Netherlands have been overwhelmingly positive.The defender, who does not turn 18 until December, has already represented the Netherlands at under-19 level, playing for them three times and scoring once during the UEFA U-19 championship qualifying rounds. His younger brother, Rav, is also on Zwolle’s books and has been previously linked with Liverpool, although sources have told Goal that Sepp is the only one the club are pursuing at present.Liverpool released a number of under-23 and under-18 players earlier this month, including defenders Corey Whelan, Patrik Raitanen, Conor Masterson, Juanma and Connor Randall. Subscribe to Goal’s Liverpool Correspondent Neil Jones’ weekly email bringing you the best Liverpool FC writing from around the web